Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Flippin' overflow!!!!

Much earlier today, when I first woke and went to loo I washed my hands. And it began. Instead of cold water topping up hot tank, for some reason it went to the overflow pipe. And it is not trickling, it is flaming well gushing out, all down the wall. Furthermore it is directly beside my bedroom window, so going back to sleep was not an option. It is also pouring down the wall (three floors remember) and forming a mini lake below the ground floors living room.

I telephoned HA who initially said that they would send a plumber out, NEXT MONDAY!!. So after an initial rant from me, this was changed to 'some time' this Wednesday.

BUT so far have had each neighbour (or a representative thereof) come and ring doorbell and ask if I knew that my overflow was gushing water?? Plus the postman delivering a parcel pointed it out, the nurse who visits the neighbour on the ground floor came and pointed it out, and four, yes four, passers by have buzzed the security buzzers to tell me!!! One person has even suggested that I turn off the stop cock until it is fixed. Oh yeah? and what do I do for water in the meantime??: mad2:
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 05:35 PM

Re: Flippin' overflow!!!!

I expect there's a screw-like thing on the pipe to the cistern. If you turn it 90degrees it should stop the water going in. I think!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 06:00 PM

DM, you need a new ball valve on the cistern, but in the meantime, if you take the lid off and bend the arm upwards(on which the ball valve is located) a short distance it should (temporarily) halt the flow of water.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 11:21 PM

Well part two:

Before that though, better explain that the cupboard has just the one shelf, on which we keep clean towels, and on the floor we have the clean/spare bedding piled (nowhere else to put it). Soo son comes home and I tell him the saga, and being a bloke he has to look in the airing cupboard and investigate, and he discovers that the bedding on the floor is actually sodden. (I had not opened it as saw no reason to) he yanks everything out and it becomes apparent that there is more than the overflow going on. So he scrambles beneath the sink and turns of the stop-cock, while I now ring the emergency number and explain that not only was the overflow pouring water down the outside of the building but it seems that the tank was also pouring water inside!

Young man eventually turns up and after a while informs us that it is a problem to do with ball-cock, and that water is going into the header tank quicker than it is coming out into the hot water tank. Anyway he seems to have solved the immediate problem, but all my bedding, including two spare pillows, is sodden, two sections of the red thing around the tank are full of water and stink, and my tiny hall carpet is also sodden. Wonder who is going to pay for this?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Well part two:

Before that though, better explain that the cupboard has just the one shelf, on which we keep clean towels, and on the floor we have the clean/spare bedding piled (nowhere else to put it). Soo son comes home and I tell him the saga, and being a bloke he has to look in the airing cupboard and investigate, and he discovers that the bedding on the floor is actually sodden. (I had not opened it as saw no reason to) he yanks everything out and it becomes apparent that there is more than the overflow going on. So he scrambles beneath the sink and turns of the stop-cock, while I now ring the emergency number and explain that not only was the overflow pouring water down the outside of the building but it seems that the tank was also pouring water inside!

Young man eventually turns up and after a while informs us that it is a problem to do with ball-cock, and that water is going into the header tank quicker than it is coming out into the hot water tank. Anyway he seems to have solved the immediate problem, but all my bedding, including two spare pillows, is sodden, two sections of the red thing around the tank are full of water and stink, and my tiny hall carpet is also sodden. Wonder who is going to pay for this?

I said it was the ball valve DM.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top