Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Cleaning up after pet hair

Hi everyone,

I have two large dogs whom I love dearly. For a while now, I've been struggling with cleaning up after them. I have a steam mop, which works wonders, but I struggle mainly with vacuuming their hair on the carpets and sofas.

I've been looking into replacing yet another vacuum cleaner as the others i have chosen have been too heavy for me. I've tried cordless, which is great but lacks power, and now I've decided on the Vax U91-MAP Air Pet vacuum cleaner (this site suggested it - http://www.lightweightvacuumcleanershub.co.uk).

Have any of you used this model or have a better one to suggest?

Thanks.

BB
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Re: Cleaning up after pet hair

I use a dyson animal upright works well for a daily clean, then I use a rubber broom once a week on the carpets as that drags all the hair out. Rubber glove on the sofa works well too.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 12:28 PM

I have a Dyson Animal and although it is quite heavy it does the job. Still have to do the corners and edges separately though. I have not tried the lightweight cordless Dyson and am not sure if it would be heavy duty enough for what I need. As Julie says, Rubber gloves are also good and I think damp dusting is beneficial. The dog also gets a good damp dusting as well as a regular going over with dog coat rake - (Best thing I know for getting the dead hair out - especially with a bigger dog). For the carpets, as well as the Dyson Animal, getting down on the floor with a damp cloth a very effective way of ridding the carpet of dog hair.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 02:09 PM

We use a clothes brush to remove cat hairs from furniture and her basket. Dyson animal cleaner does the carpets and floors.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 06:07 PM

I used to have an Animal Dyson but replaced it with a Vax which I think performs better.

As has been said, if you have a dog that sheds a fair bit of underhair, you can't beat a rubber broom and a hand-held rubber brush - stairs treads (back and sides) a rubber glove, works perfectly.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by beanybit ->
Hi everyone,

I have two large dogs whom I love dearly. For a while now, I've been struggling with cleaning up after them. I have a steam mop, which works wonders, but I struggle mainly with vacuuming their hair on the carpets and sofas.

BB
I don't have any pets but if it is any comfort having a woman in the house is far worse, after my daughter or daughter in law visit (and I too love them dearly) the vacuum or carpet sweeper is clogged up with their hair. Being longer than pet hair it is much harder to remove.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 11:52 AM

I have laminate floor so its not a problem but I do recommend a tool called a Furminator for combing out the undercoat of a moulting dog.. Got mine on Amazon and it saves backbreaking work
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
I have laminate floor so its not a problem but I do recommend a tool called a Furminator for combing out the undercoat of a moulting dog.. Got mine on Amazon and it saves backbreaking work
I also use a Furminator for my cat and I can thoroughly recommend them too...
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks everyone. The broom idea sounds great - thanks for the advice.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2013, 08:29 PM

I washed my dog with hair remover ...end of problem ..lol.....sorry only joking ...

i used a razor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top