Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Arsenic Eaters.

I found a very interesting article on the internet by John Papascandola, it's headed "The Arsenic Eaters of Styria". If you ladies want a fresh complexion and 'The appearance of flourishing health' you could give yourself a treat and eat arsenic, I kid you not. I don't know how to post links but if you google the title above you will see what I mean. I always wanted to know about this because I remember an uncle of mine telling me about it years ago, to tell you the truth I thought he was nuts at the time, he also told me that some of the gentry in Britain and Ireland used to eat small doses of arsenic in the 1800's, well fancy that now, no wonder they all went around with sour pusses.
I'm off to the local now to get my own favoutite brand of poison.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Re: Arsenic Eaters.

I have not heard of arsenic being ingested for 'health purposed' Jem
I understand it was once an ingredient in make up used to produce a white translucent looking skin...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have not heard of arsenic being ingested for 'health purposed' Jem
I understand it was once an ingredient in make up used to produce a white translucent looking skin...
Arsenic has long been used for health Meg. It once was the only cure for syphilis and also acts as stimulant so it was once popular as a tonic (we are talking pre-early 20th century)
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 03:50 PM

I doubt if Napoleon thought it was a great substance as seemingly he died from Arsenic poisoning from the Wallpaper in his jail of a house.
Also Dr Crippen poisoned his wife with it.
Think I will stay with the Oil of Ulay for my skin and who wants to be white?
Bring on the Sun

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top