Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Rhinocerous beetle

We found this not so little chap yesterday, he looked somewhat battered by the heavy rain storm, I think it's a Rhinocerous beetle.

valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Re: Rhinocerous beetle

We have 2 of these which son found dead in a compost heap about 40yrs ago in Nairobi. We had them set into blocks of plastic resin, and they are a fascination for our grandchildren.
The male has a horn like a rhino, and the female has no horn.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Looks like a female Stag Beetle to me

Can't see if it has a horn sticking up though ~ never seen a Rhinocerous Beetle
ahhhh so the female Rhino beetle has no horns either ... hmmmm ... tricky
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 11:37 AM

If you look closely you can see the horn on this one. We came across quite a few of them whilst living in Kenya, usually after the rains, but this is the first one I have seen here in Spain. This fellow was on his back at the side of the pool, I flipped him over and he crawled underneath a large plantpot, probably still there, I haven't looked.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 12:09 PM

In my garden at the moment we have lots of a flying Beetle. I had to look it up and its called the Tooth Necked Fungus Beetle. Cant remember as many in other years. Not seen a lot of Ladybirds this year but probably because it was wet last year and cold this Winter.
I remember seeing a Stag Beetle when younger as we lived near a large field. It was a magnificent thing and really tough looking. He had been in a fight as he had a big chunk out of his casing on the back. Never seen a Rhinoceros Beetle.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

19-06-2013, 12:20 PM

I've made the photo lighter, hopefully you can see the horn better.

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Aha
It's a MAN !

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
We found this not so little chap yesterday, he looked somewhat battered by the heavy rain storm, I think it's a Rhinocerous beetle.
Thats a bit scary Loretta I a not a fan of big bugs..

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
In my garden at the moment we have lots of a flying Beetle. I had to look it up and its called the Tooth Necked Fungus Beetle. Cant remember as many in other years. Not seen a lot of Ladybirds this year but probably because it was wet last year and cold this Winter.
I remember seeing a Stag Beetle when younger as we lived near a large field. It was a magnificent thing and really tough looking. He had been in a fight as he had a big chunk out of his casing on the back. Never seen a Rhinoceros Beetle.
Sandy do we get those in this country, are you sure it isn't the 'May bug' (cockchafer beetle), there have been a lot around this year..
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=may...w=1280&bih=667

...they remind me of flying cockroaches and make me shudder I had one in the hall one night and had to leave the front door open and hide until it had gone.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top