Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Here comes Honey Boo Boo Cruel??

I was flitting up and down the channels earlier and came across this programme, having heard about it decided to watch for a while. There was one incident which really really made me so annoyed, at the programme makers, at the camera people and the editors and production team!!

It was the childs birthday and they had had one of those above ground pools. Where she had spent a lot of her time. At this point Honey is sitting on a chair facing the camera which is tightly focused on her face as she tells how much she has enjoyed her day, the sun is shining directly into her face and as was inevitable, she sneezed. Trouble is the child produced a stream of mucus from each nostril. She immediately smacked one palm to her face to cover the mishap. But did they offer her a tissue/hanky? did they even move the focus from her face for a second? No they did not. They kept the camera tightly focused on this childs' face while she sat there, going more and more crimson with embarrassment her eyes flickering from side to side searching for aid, until, after unsuccessfully attempting to 'sniff' it back up, she bowed her head, obviously crying and then manouvered herself off the chair and ran off to the side. I was appalled, surely in post production they could have cut this short and not mortified a six year old baby???
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Re: Here comes Honey Boo Boo Cruel??

Hi there, never heard of the programme so don't know anything about it.?
Doesn't seem a nice thing for a 6 year old with a snotty nose but why is the programme about a 6 year old?
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 09:22 AM

'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' is a reality television program on TLC that features the now seven-year-old child beauty pageant participant Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson, along with her mother June Shannon, father Mike Thompson, and three older sisters. The family consider themselves to be true Georgian rednecks. Apparently they were first featured on the programme about kids pageants 'tiaras' something or other, and something about the family and the honeys personality inspired the producers to create a series focused on them. It is what my son refers to as 'car crash' t.v.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 12:47 PM

What you describe is totally wrong of course, but typical of the media, which I loath....
As for the Mother of this child - she and 'all' the others like her, should be sent to parenting class ... They are 'hideous' parents in my view and the law should come down hard on the media for allowing children to be paraded in this way ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' is a reality television program on TLC that features the now seven-year-old child beauty pageant participant Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson, along with her mother June Shannon, father Mike Thompson, and three older sisters. The family consider themselves to be true Georgian rednecks. Apparently they were first featured on the programme about kids pageants 'tiaras' something or other, and something about the family and the honeys personality inspired the producers to create a series focused on them. It is what my son refers to as 'car crash' t.v.
It sounds dreadful , I find the whole idea of 'beauty pageants' and dressing little girls up to look like grown women abhorrent anyway, for me it is one step away from child abuse.

Adult hood comes all too quickly, children should be allowed to be children and for me that means toys and ankle socks and getting dirty.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Good post Meg - summed up perfectly....
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

18-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Ordinarily I might agree with both of you, but in this instance, probably because neither of you have actually seen the programme, you are both totally wrong. This is not the typical 'pushy' family at all, they all adore her and are all behind her 100% but are all agreed that the moment she tires of it, then she can finish. However at the moment she absolutely loves the whole pageant thing, and is as sassy as they come. She herself for instance gave herself the name Honey Boo Boo.

They are far from wealthy, mamma June cuts coupons to save money, and they go to the community bingo games to try and raise some money for her dresses etc. As for the pageants, they are not the huge expensive ones filled with pushy moms and snooty 'old before their time' kiddies, and handing out huge prizes, they give crowns, sashes, and trophies, and the couple I have seen have been held in small community centres and try to ensure every child gets something, even if it is prettiest dress or something equally simple.

As for Honey herself, no 'prima donna' this, one of her favourite pastimes is sitting wedged between mom and dad, on their 4x4 and speeding through huge muddy puddles or something called 'mud diving' where they belly flop into huge muddy pools, (hardly the sort of thing favoured by the usual 'little princess' type who usually go in for this type of thing). She is having the time of her life and her family are supporting her all the way.

My initial objection was not with regards to her mother allowing her to enter these competitions, but to the way the producers were willing to embarrass the child in front of millions.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 08:44 PM

I had no idea who Honey Boo Boo was or what this programme was all about. I have now found out and I wish I hadn't. Anyway here they are, the whole family in all their glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLFMlemZ34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96p5Ft98Lq0
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->

I was flitting up and down the channels earlier and came across this programme, having heard about it decided to watch for a while. There was one incident which really really made me so annoyed, at the programme makers, at the camera people and the editors and production team!!
Serves you right for flicking through the channels . I hate it, my kids do it and it drives me up the wall, as does turning on the TV just to, "See what's on".

What is the point of having a TV guide? Every Monday I get The Guide out of the SMH and mark the programs I want to watch then set the PVR to record them. if I haven't watched them within about 3 weeks they are deleted.

The only time I turn the TV on is at 7pm for the news or a specific program I particularly want to watch - the great thing about modern TVs is that you can program them to turn on just before a program starts (usually frightens the life out of me when they do turn on).

Anal or what?
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

19-06-2013, 10:42 AM

[mod edit/ please see link below]

And why bother purchasing a paper t.v. guide when there is one available on the screen?

The joy of 'flitting' is that one might come across something of interest which one had missed when reading the guide. Besides I hate adverts, especially the breaks which are more than two minutes long, so I flit and sometimes I find something good and sometimes I don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top