Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Solar panels

Has anybody got solar panels with a feed in tariff?
I am considering buying them while the time is right.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Re: Solar panels

No Arthur matey - I don't have a roof on my place on which they could be attached.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Dont have a roof !!!

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Dont have a roof !!!

No Pats darlin' - I live on the ground floor of a three storey building - the neighbour who lives in the top floor has the roof, I don't.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:27 AM

I live in a terraced Victorian Cottage, in a conservation area, & I cant put anything up "out of keeping". Soz.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No Pats darlin' - I live on the ground floor of a three storey building - the neighbour who lives in the top floor has the roof, I don't.
I was pullin yer tail Sugar ......

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 10:42 AM

I think solar panels usually look very ugly but they are becoming very popular. I believe there were attractive grants available at one time, but I think they have been withdrawn or reduced recently. I think it is advisable to work out how long it will take to "break even" It could take several years to make any savings when taking into account the cost of the installation. Don't they also wear out and have to be replaced or upgraded. We thought about them, but changed our mind when we looked into the full detail.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 11:34 AM

We looked into solar panels but the expense out weighed the income.
Our daughter has lots of them on her barn and is pleased as long as they use their electrical appliances (washing machine, dish washer) during the day. She watches the meter and on a sunny day, it just shows a little use.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

16-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I was pullin yer tail Sugar ......

Yes Pats darlin' - I did discern that - but I thought I had better explain anyway.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 12:30 PM

I haven't even considered solar panels because
1. I think they look ugly
2. The payback period is too long.
3. They do not appear to add much to the value of a property.
4. They drop in efficiency with time.

I've seen various figures about savings, and of course the people who sell the panels will always give you the best ones. Even in this day and age, you could invest your money and get some return on it. At a rough guess, this means a payback period of 12-15 years before you actually make money. You will get the feed-in tarriff for 20 years, so you will wait say 15 years to break even and then make some money for 5 years.
You will have an ugly depreciating asset that won't help to sell your house.

Afart from that, they seem like a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top