Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 05:38 PM

Why I absolutely hate this?

Sitting here, (him indoors says that I am beginning to resemble a growth on the sofa) and the tv is on in the background. On has come the usual Charities advert ending with "Just 3 pounds, yes, 3 pounds will provide etc etc and it just annoys me so much. When did it become acceptable for Charities to ask for a precise amount of money from hard-pressed but kind giving people who normally support these charities? It seems wrong when people in these austere times and whom in some cases can hardly afford it, would willingly send a pound or two in support but are being asked for a minimum amount. Bl...dy cheek I think. I support two local charities because a. they don't waste the money spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on tv adverts, they don't drive around in company cars and they certainly don't have state of the art, modern buildings in the centre of the most expensive part of London, all paid for by donations. and 2. As far as I am concerned, I like to know that every penny donated by myself and others to a charity, apart from modest expenses, are going towards the project it is meant for, not for luxuries such as where they work or what they drive or the expensive ads. How do you feel about this?
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Re: Why I absolutely hate this?

Pretty much the same as you to really. My pet hate is being asked for money outside supermarkets by a tin rattler.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Yes well, I don't think they should be collecting charity money and spending it on things like offices and cars for staff. Its just something the the British seem to be good at doing - giving to Charity. We are renowned for doing this. We do have empathy. What can you do as millions of people would be dead now if we hadn't given to Charity. So fingers X'd it gets to the source and not on the expenses.
I would prefer a DD to a family who were on the edge and I could support with a few quid a month, but would that ever happen??
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Hi Uff, yes, I know what you mean, I just tell them "Sorry, but I support my own charities" and walk on by - as Dionne would sing.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 06:02 PM

I had this typed out about a week ago Mary and it got lost, I was thinking the very same thing while watching TV, does that put us in the 'Psychic' category.
There is a childrens Hospital not too far from where I live and that's my favourite charity, they are not the main childrens hospital and are subject to cuts in their allowance from the health board, the staff there are terrific with the sick kids as I remember when my two were there for appendix operations, as far as I'm concerned they deserve every penny they get.
The charities I will never support are the ones that tell you how much to give every month, now that is over cockiness in my book, it turns me off straight away and it's a downright cheek.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-06-2013, 06:31 PM

BowieEyes - Yes, that is all one can hope for but we do hear of many overseas aid corruptions going on. I think that aid for abroad should, if needed for equipment, should be provided in the form of that same equipment needed either by being bought by the charities at the cheapest price in that country by the Charities themselves with monies left in order to pay people to work the equipment etc. In the case of sponsoring a child, this should be on a one-to-one basis by the charities based here where the child can be provided with the things she/he require to make their lives easier,not cash in any case which must prove such a temptation to many officials and be at risk of never reaching those for whom it was meant.

Jem, Methinks we must be psychic !!
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 06:34 PM

i don't mind giving a pound or two to a worthy charity but now there are so many of them and I object when they ask if I would do it by direct debit I think that is taking the Mickey. Then they try and show you on the telly photos taken from third world countries to make you feel guilty. Perhaps if it was not for the corrupt officials in these countries there people would not be living in poverty.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 06:50 PM

I wonder how much these charities spend on TV advertising alone , it must be millions of £s that could go to 'the good causes'.
Until recently I 'gave in kind' providing my time of a day a week and a night a month plus food donations so I know what I gave went to the heart of the cause.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 07:02 PM

GOSH, as I've mentioned before, is the only charity for me. They are amazing there.
Giving in kind is good, Meg. I did similar hours to you many moons ago, the night is the 'killer' isn't it?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 07:09 PM

I've just had raffle tickets & address labels through the door. I used to worry that they'd think I'd sold the tickets so used to buy them myself, now I tear them into shreds and put them in the recycle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top