Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 01:09 PM

How Old Is Grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events. The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

'---------- television

'---------- polio shots

'---------- frozen foods

'---------- Xerox

'---------- contact lenses

'---------- Frisbees and

'---------- the pill

There was no:

'---------- Radar

'---------- credit cards no dishwasher

'---------- laser beams or

'---------- ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

'---------- pantyhose

'---------- air conditioners

'---------- dishwashers

'---------- clothes dryers

'---------- and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

'---------- man hadn't yet walked on the moon
»

Your Grandfather and I got married first, . . and then lived together! Every family had a father and a mother! Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir'. And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense! We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions. Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege. We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent!

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins!

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started!

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

I bet you have this old lady in mind...you are in for a shock! She would be 61!

How times have changed
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Re: How Old Is Grandma?

Being older than that BenV . I didn't think about that because I was female and we didn't have the same ideas as they do today so had to fight for every morsel we got. One thing they don't have today is the Beatles,
the start of Radio 1, the feeling of being safe on our streets. No street gangs as such as everyone knew each other and if any upstart had started something like they do now our Dads would have gone and given them a clip around their earholes. So there are good and bad things of growing older. Cant remember calling anyone Sir but did call older people Mr or Mrs ...... as we didn't know their first names.
Life was simple then and less violent. So whats the best?
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 10:16 AM

I'm 66 and I think we had the best of times as teens there were milk bars, dance halls cinemas, skating rinks all sorts of amusements easily affordable and safe. I could walk through the roughest area late at night and never feel threatened. Yet we've seen the devolopement of all the above mentioned, what have youngsters today got and what can they look forward to. Our 16 & 14 yr old Grandsons listen to my friend and I reminiscing and they say it sounds exciting and fun to them. The oldest one is studying music and he does 60's,70's, 80's and says he'd like to visit that era it must have been fantastic. We enjoyed it anyway.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 10:51 AM

When you think of it Hazel, teenagers - including Teddy Boys, happy with a 'coffee' .... Seems another world now.....
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 04:32 PM

on another forum a thread was have you ever hitch hiked or given a hitchiker a lift. I answered yes to both and only ever had trouble with being given a lift twice and when I said No that was it I just got out of the car (or off the motorbike) and started walking. No thought of danger. Couldn't do that nowadays.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 05:46 PM

No way Pedro ! Its a shame the way things have changed, we were certainly carefree walking about - hitching lifts, wouldn't consider it now ....
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

19-06-2013, 12:19 PM

QUOTE/

if any upstart had started something like they do now our Dads would have gone and given them a clip around their earholes..........

When I was 25 I met a bloke in my local pub and he said "I know you, your Dad gave me a clip round the earole for sitting on your garden wall" . Can you imagine the outcome of that today .I was telling my Grandson this and he asked how long ago it was Ahhh.... yes 53 yrs ago ..... oh dear doesn't time fly.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top