Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Glen1962
Canada
Glen1962 is male  Glen1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Upstairs neighbor problems, how should I handle it?

Well folks, I hate to make a post like this so early as a newbie, but I really need some advice on how to handle problem neighbors in a constructive way. I live in a basement suite, and last summer a young couple (probably in their early 30's) moved in upstairs with their two dogs. It was all going well until the dogs got increasingly unruly. They have one small dog that barks a lot, and this one has a very LOUD screechy bark. When they are not home this dog will bark for about 15 or 20 minutes at a time. There will be an interval for about 3 to 5 minutes, but then it will start up again until those people get home. The dog has even woken me up some mornings even though I wear earplugs and they keep the dog at the other end of the house. I have lost a lot of sleep because of that, plus shattered nerves. I work from early evening to early morning, which means I work late, stay up for a while and sleep until early afternoon. Those are my hours, and that's the way it was before they moved in.

Now, dog #2, and speaking of #2, that's the problem! These people allow the dog to poop right where I walk to get to my truck and camper, which is parked in the back lot beside the garage. That space was given to me by the landlord before that couple moved in. I politely asked the guy if he could have the dog do it's business somewhere else and his reply was "well, she's a dog." and I said "yeah, but I don't like stepping dog poop!" I suggested that I might build a wooden walkway where I walk, but after I thought about it, I figured that he should just be more responsible and clean up after the pooch. When I see the droppings, I just take a spade and pitch it into their garden. If they don't like that, too bad!

I've tried my best to reasonable with those people. they show me consideration about my mail. When I get a parcel, the guy takes it down to my door, and I really appreciate that. Unfortunately he and his wife are a bit ignorant about the dogs. They seem to think that they and the dogs are entitled to do as they please. I have brought up the barking and pooping problem, but they just get defensive and try to justify the dog's behavior. The guy even suggested that I should should get up earlier just to tolerate the dog's barking. I told him to forget it! I'm not willing to rearrange my lifestyle just to suit someone else's dogs. I'm a grown man, I work for a living, and I pay my rent, taxes, and my bills. I'm not willing to be owned by someone else's dogs! His wife also implied that I should tolerate it because the landlord makes them pay extra for their dogs.

What should I do about this? Most people suggest that I move, but I like where I live, and I don't believe in running from people who are causing me grief. Some day I will move when I can afford to buy my own place. The city where I live has strict laws about these problems, and if I report them, they will get a warning, and if it persists they will get fined. I could also give them a taste of their own medicine, which does work if necessary. The problem is that I feel like a stool pigeon if I report them, and I feel juvenile if I try to get even, but I have to solve this one way or another. I can't just let them walk all over me.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Re: Upstairs neighbor problems, how should I handle it?

I would speak to your landlord first - take photos of where the dogs are fouling and record the barking so that you can show him how you are having to live; it's his reponsibility to sort out troublesome tenants - that's what you're paying him for as well.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:27 AM

In a bit of a corner there. Sounds like the only way you are going to resolve this is to have it out with them. I mean have a good discussion about it - if you haven't already that is. Lay all your concerns on the table for all to see - including the landlord. Once you have done that you are more or less in the clear if you have stipulated that you will do so and so if something isn't done about it.

Trouble is what can they do about most of it - dog barking etc? They will not get rid of the dogs that is fairly certain.

Seems to me the landlord is at fault so maybe you should have a word with the authorities about him letting tenants with dogs in the first place.

You will probably have to look elsewhere for accomodation to resolve this. Somewhere that doesn't allow dogs.

Horrible situation to be in.
Glen1962
Canada
Glen1962 is male  Glen1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I would speak to your landlord first - take photos of where the dogs are fouling and record the barking so that you can show him how you are having to live; it's his reponsibility to sort out troublesome tenants - that's what you're paying him for as well.
Thanks, I talked to his wife, and she sounded sympathetic, but the problem with my landlord is that whenever there is a problem with other tenants, they act helpless and act like there is nothing they can do about. I have a slum landlord, which means he just wants to collect the rent and have as little to do with his responsibilities as he can get away with. This guy is so bad that he was written up in the local paper where I live. He even has my basement windows nailed shut, which is not only a deathtrap to me in case of a fire, but it's a serious infraction of a fire code. I told his wife that I might report the dog problem to the city and she said they would do what they can.
Glen1962
Canada

12-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
In a bit of a corner there. Sounds like the only way you are going to resolve this is to have it out with them. I mean have a good discussion about it - if you haven't already that is. Lay all your concerns on the table for all to see - including the landlord. Once you have done that you are more or less in the clear if you have stipulated that you will do so and so if something isn't done about it.

Trouble is what can they do about most of it - dog barking etc? They will not get rid of the dogs that is fairly certain.

Seems to me the landlord is at fault so maybe you should have a word with the authorities about him letting tenants with dogs in the first place.

You will probably have to look elsewhere for accomodation to resolve this. Somewhere that doesn't allow dogs.

Horrible situation to be in.
Thanks MKJ, I agree that those people will not get rid of their dogs, but they will most certainly move out before I do, and I will definitely have a talk with the landlord about no more dogs. I have two cats and they are clean and well behaved. I even like dogs, but I can't stand when the owners are irresponsible.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:03 PM

First port of call with barking and fouling here is contact the council dog warden who will write to the offenders clearly stating they have to pick up mess and control the barking. Do you have services like that in Canada ?
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

here in England it's compulsary to clean up after your dog, we use nappy sacks, put hand in pick up poo with it turn inside out tie top and dispose in bin all clean and tidy. Buy them a packet and give them instructions.
Glen1962
Canada

12-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
First port of call with barking and fouling here is contact the council dog warden who will write to the offenders clearly stating they have to pick up mess and control the barking. Do you have services like that in Canada ?
Yes, Our dog bylaw office is located in the local animal shelter. Here in the province of Alberta the law has very little tolerance for dog violations. We have very strict laws here. Canada is very adamant when it comes to animal control and cruelty to animals, and that's a good thing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Well that would seem to be your best bet, especially as you have tried speaking to them already.
Glen1962
Canada

12-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Thanks, it's getting very early and I have to get to bed, lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top