Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Nuisance calls

I get these to the tune of 1-3 a day now. Why do these people think they have a right to invade my privacy and nothing is being done about it? To fix it I will have to fork out money one way or the other. I'm beginning to think that the phone companies allow it as it does bring in more revenue. The more calls the more likely you are to upgrade your service.

I don't tell these callers to p*** off yet but I'm not far from it. Trouble is you get a call which makes you uptight and then receive another thinking it is the same person and you are ready to lay into them but it turns out to be a member of your family or a friend. They nearly get it instead.

I have a sticker on my front door stating that I don't want tradesmen or religious types to knock and it works a treat but the phone can't be fixed so easily.

Rant over...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Re: Nuisance calls

I have sticker too, I've taken to answering the phone & then leaving it somewhere & letting them talk to themselves, they're paying for it & all my "How did you get this number, it's ex-directory....." ranting just got me uptight. Have you got caller display? It does help, although leave answering machine, if you have one, on just in case it is someone important. Asking the telephone preference service to stop these calls is useless.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:19 PM

Isn't there a number you call to get put on a " do not call" register? we have the service here altho' it kicks in about a month after your private number's registered then you update it each year, you can do it online here too.
Try googling ' do not call register' and see what happens maybe? Do you have Optus or Telstra there?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I have sticker too, I've taken to answering the phone & then leaving it somewhere & letting them talk to themselves, they're paying for it & all my "How did you get this number, it's ex-directory....." ranting just got me uptight. Have you got caller display? It does help, although leave answering machine, if you have one, on just in case it is someone important. Asking the telephone preference service to stop these calls is useless.
I'm going to have to do something else it will get to the point of me wanting to rip the wires out of the wall.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

06-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
Isn't there a number you call to get put on a " do not call" register? we have the service here altho' it kicks in about a month after your private number's registered then you update it each year, you can do it online here too.
Try googling ' do not call register' and see what happens maybe? Do you have Optus or Telstra there?
Well I'm already registered on a free service but that isn't able to stop oversea callers who withhold their numbers so they are getting through all the time.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:25 PM

I have started saying I don't live here they have the wrong number seems to be working having fewer and fewer calls as the weeks go by.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

06-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have started saying I don't live here they have the wrong number seems to be working having fewer and fewer calls as the weeks go by.
Worth a try but I seem to be on sort of automated dial up service the little buggers are using so I can't see that having much of an effect. Just the fact I have to get to the phone and pick it up is enough to upset me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:30 PM

The only way:
Pick up the phone, let them pay & walk away!
You go nuts otherwise!
I started not picking up "withheld numbers" & then discovered the GP & school were doing it. If it comes up "Unrecognised" it's overseas & my niece in Dubai got ignored. You can't win.......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:31 PM

I have the same probem and it almost always happens when I sit down to eat a meal.

Many of the callers are offshore so even if you have signed up to the Telephone Preference Service it will not be effective.

Some of the calls are from an automated exchange so it is best to listen before you speak then if this is the case and you hear a recorded voice you can replace the receiver without speaking so they are not aware you line is live.

The only real option is to have a phone which stores the numbers of callers or use the 1471 feature, I do the latter and only ring back if I recognize the number.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 12:38 PM

I have listed all the nuisance call numbers on a pad beside the phone so when the phone rings I can check the number against it before picking up the receiver. If the number is on the list, I ignore the call...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top