Join for free
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

05-06-2013, 05:32 AM

60th Anniversary of 'mummy' Queen Liz II

Congratulations to 60 years well served and a calling that was not expected but fulfilled to the letter.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Re: 60th Anniversary of 'mummy' Queen Liz II

Why was the jubilee last year if it's 60 years this year, just wondering?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Congratulations to our wonderful Queen, 60 years of dedication in serving her country.

Last year, Britons celebrated Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee, which marked their 87-year-old monarch's ascent to the throne. This year marks the 60th anniversary of Elizabeth's coronation, which took place in June, 1953, 16 months after the queen took her father's seat on the throne.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 07:17 PM

Congratulations to a lady who has put her country before herself for the last 60 years .

Would I want to give up my freedom to spend most of my life in the public eye, being polite to people in whom I had no interest, eating elaborate meals when I longed for a boiled egg, not for a million pounds a week .

Queen Elizabeth has served her country well, she has my admiration.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

06-06-2013, 01:00 AM

the ayes have it!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Queen Elizabeth certainly has served her country well for the last 60 years.
Don't you feel she deserves to put her feet up for a bit and take it easy.
I know she wont abdicate as she believes the job is for life.
Would the rest of us do it, personally NO
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 09:51 AM

In theory I am opposed to hereditary monarchies (or any other kind for that matter) but in practice, the British monarchy just doesn't seem worth causing a fuss about when you consider the other, much more pressing, issues we face as a nation.
I do remember the coronation though. We had a street party in every street, where we were all given commemorative plates and mugs. A day or two beforehand, my mum and dad took us to Eton High Street where we waited for hours for the royal coach to come through with the soon to be crowned queen on board - the pageantry was very impressive to a 5 yr old. Then on coronation day we heard the news that Hilary had conquered Everest with Sherpa Tensing (for years I thought Sherpa was the guy's first name) and we all crowded into my next-door neighbour's house (the only people in the street with TV) to watch the coronation live on the BBC. The next time I watched TV was 5 years later in February '58, when my neighbour called me and my dad in to watch a news report of the Man Utd plane crash in Munich. They were still the only people in the street with a TV then.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top