Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:24 AM

The Number 42 Is The Meaning of Life ...

... or is it?

I heard this mentioned in a film recently and have only just gotten around to looking it up. The instigator of this phenomenon is none other than Douglas Adams who wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He claims it was just a random number with no real significance but was it - the following may just change your mind ...

(be sure to read the 42 ( ) listings at the end of the article)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...g-2205734.html
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 11:15 AM

Re: The Number 42 Is The Meaning of Life ...

OMG, I've just remembered that I was once 42...........it must be true !!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Intersting Karen - but you can equate the number 42 to a lot more things too- or any number come to that ... For instance - 'I' was 42 once !
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Looking back at the hitchhikers guide, I do believe Douglas ADAMS foresaw the INTERNET. He had a handheld gadget "THE GUIDE" which looks very much like the handheld phone/texting/internet, camera thingies in wide use today.

BTW I love the book, I heard it when it was serialied on R4 way back when & rushed out to buy it. Same thing with ADRIAN MOLE.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
OMG, I've just remembered that I was once 42...........it must be true !!!
Oh no! Me too! I wonder how many others that's happend to
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Looking back at the hitchhikers guide, I do believe Douglas ADAMS foresaw the INTERNET. He had a handheld gadget "THE GUIDE" which looks very much like the handheld phone/texting/internet, camera thingies in wide use today.
Err - hang on, that sounds suspiciously like he might have a point
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 05:56 PM

I suppose you could make a case for any number, wasn't there a certain number connected with all the American Presidents?
I was always useless with numbers, never even played the lottery, although the wife does. I don't see how numbers can have anything to do with the universe, aren't they an invention a mankind?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Err - hang on, that sounds suspiciously like he might have a point
Whats so unusual in me having a point?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 07:49 PM

Oh dear, what about the film "23" with Jim Carey.......
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Whats so unusual in me having a point?
My post and your post were talking about Douglas Adams not you - so he was the 'he' in question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top