Join for free
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Mobile phone battery life/memory space

How long should a smart phone battery last?

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Ace less than 12 months now and I am starting having to re-charge it daily. It was once every other day. I hardly use it for texting or making a call but do like to keep a check on the internet - I often look on here with it! At night it acts as a clock and alarm when I need it.

Is this normal for this type of phone? Sometimes I can almost see it draining away before my eyes when I check on something.

Another question is about memory space. I very often have a message to say my memory is low and need to delete stuff. This is usually when an update comes through.

Again, I don't have much personal stuff on there but there is a lot of Samsung and Tesco (I'm on Tesco mobile) apps which are probably built in. I'm very reluctant to delete stuff incase it messes up things.
What is safe to delete and what is not? I believe there are apps that disable stuff that's not used. Any recommendations please?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 02:49 PM

Re: Mobile phone battery life/memory space

Well I really can't help you, other than to say my daughter charges daily.
I haven't a smart phone myself, You won't believe it, but I am still using a Motorolla V900 about 12 years old, and the battery lasts 10 days on standby.
Would you believe it is the original battery as well. I believe in value for money.
I think the secret with these batteries is to let them completely go flat, before charging.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Well I really can't help you, other than to say my daughter charges daily.
I haven't a smart phone myself, You won't believe it, but I am still using a Motorolla V900 about 12 years old, and the battery lasts 10 days on standby.
Would you believe it is the original battery as well. I believe in value for money.
I think the secret with these batteries is to let them completely go flat, before charging.

Sounds like you've got the brick sized one!! Yes, the old ones are the best!!
Yes, I think you're right about letting them go flat. I'm letting it do that now so I can charge this evening as I need the alarm on it to get me out of bed in the morning!!
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 04:25 PM

I recharge twice daily & carry a spare charged battery plus plug into the car charger in th car every trip. Mines a Samsung Galaxy s3. If im in a non internet area I make sure my wifi iss off or it'll use battery searching for a connection that isnt there.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 06:22 PM

I'm glad to see a thread concerning batteries, I hate the bloody things, you can never really depend on them.
I always thought when you charged rechargeable batteries that they stay charged when you put them away for later use, they don't according to an article I read recently called "All about Batteries". Rechargeable batteries lose between 20% and 50% of their energy when not in use through 'Self Discharge', I always suspected this, especially with my 18volt cordless drill, it came with two batteries so I always had one charged on standby, when I switched over the second one didn't last for long, same with the six AAA batteries I use in my walkie talkie. Nearly everything uses batteries today, surely they could come up with something better for portable power with the technology they have now, after all they said they went to the moon in 1969, they would be still there if they were depending on batteries to get back home, this is 2013 for Gods sake, ah but why kill the goose that laid the golden egg, as long as billions are being made on batteries why bother, keep taking the readies, Forever Readies is right.Girrr.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-06-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
I recharge twice daily & carry a spare charged battery plus plug into the car charger in th car every trip. Mines a Samsung Galaxy s3. If im in a non internet area I make sure my wifi iss off or it'll use battery searching for a connection that isnt there.
Wow that's a lot of charging! Has that been since you got it?
Do you have it on all the time? Mine is. I tried switching it off for several hours but it seemed to drain more switching it back on.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
I've got the same phone but while I don't charge it twice daily as a matter of habit (and don't have a spare battery) because it will last the day easily however I do take every opportunity to charge it - if I am in the car for example. I suppose it depends on how many calls you make a day, I probably only make 3 or 4 and receive a similar amount because it is my only phone and is never turned off.

Good advice about turning the Wifi off (and bluetooth, GPS etc) especially if your phone service offers free data anyway, mine gives me 500Mb but I rarely use even half of it; emails, the odd web site, train and bus timetable info and even Google maps use very little.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top