Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2013, 09:41 PM

New Laws?

The Daily Telegraph is asking its readers to vote for new laws that have been submitted by readers - they are as follows:

A ten-year term limit for Prime Ministers, suggested by Alun Morris. He writes: "The two term limit of the US Presidency has saved them from much corruption, abuse of power and personality cults."

A flat tax, proposed by Taxfair. They write: "Set income tax at the same percentage for everyone regardless of how much they earn. Higher earners pay more tax on the things they purchase, generally use less services provided by the state, give more to charity and invariably have a business to run which generates jobs and further tax for the state."

A law to encourage the 'greening' of public spaces, proposed by Mattstrat. They write: "Councils and Local Authorities should be set a 25% inner-city and a 40% suburban target of grass verges for footpaths along with vegetation planting in public areas such as roundabouts. Work undertaken for the greening of towns and city would be done by people receiving an unemployment benefit."

Abolish the loophole that leaves student parents exempt from paying child maintenance, proposed by Rebecca Lynall. She writes: "This situation is entirely unfair. If maintenance cannot be paid, a debt should be accrued for these children's futures and not simply written off as though they do not exist.

A ban on spitting in public, proposed by LestWeForget. They write: "It is not only anti-social and disgusting, it is a health hazard. Tuberculosis, which had been virtually eradicated, is now on the rise. This habit is unacceptable and should be outlawed in a civilised society."

Repeal the ban on hand guns and re-open shooting clubs, proposed by Colliemum. They write: "After all, why should only criminals be 'allowed' to possess guns and shoot unarmed, defenceless citizens and police officers?"

Would you welcome the introduction of any of the above laws? Do you think they are needed?

If you want to actually put in a vote, you can do so here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-vote-now.html
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Re: New Laws?

Outlaw 'spitting' definitely, one of the reasons I stopped watching football along with the footballers lack of temper control....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 08:50 AM

There are many more important issues than those trivialities in the Tory mouthpiece.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

26-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
There are many more important issues than those trivialities in the Tory mouthpiece.
agree too many trivialities BV you'd be better involved improving the scouting movement!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Obviously a wind up altho' I'd agree with 'no spitting' and repeal the hand gun laws .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
Obviously a wind up altho' I'd agree with 'no spitting' and repeal the hand gun laws .

Maggie darlin' - do you REALLY want to repeal the hand-gun law??? Do you want Australia to be more like the U.S. than it is already and have every 'nutter' and disaffected kid capable or carrying a hand-gun and capable of using it on his/her fellow students???
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 06:45 PM

I propose a law that there are no more laws proposed....

Seriously though, haven't we got enough...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I propose a law that there are no more laws proposed....

Seriously though, haven't we got enough...
Under New Labour, in 13 years almost 4500 new laws were introduced - nearly one new law per day. So yes - I would say we have enough to be going on with!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Outlawing spitting would be a big problem for anyone involved in outside sports - especially running. Spitting is part and parcel of running as you accumulate a lot of spittle and nose snot. Disgusting I know but you have to get rid of it when it builds up as it interferes with breathing.

Same % tax for all? Not sure this is a bad approach to take. Could even be fair in a way. I think though more thought should given to closing loopholes for tax evasion as this could bring in huge amounts (they do seem to be looking at this though).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

28-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Outlawing spitting would be a big problem for anyone involved in outside sports - especially running. Spitting is part and parcel of running as you accumulate a lot of spittle and nose snot. Disgusting I know but you have to get rid of it when it builds up as it interferes with breathing.

Same % tax for all? Not sure this is a bad approach to take. Could even be fair in a way. I think though more thought should given to closing loopholes for tax evasion as this could bring in huge amounts (they do seem to be looking at this though).

No Mark matey, this is a ploy by the super rich to further reduce their tax bills, since the lower paid are taxed on some of their earnings at 20p in the £. by equating all income tax, would mean the super rich paying even less than they do now. If I had my way, the super rich would be paying 75p in the £ instead of just 45p in the £ as it is now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top