Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Flippin robins!!

And before anyone comments about the pretty sweet little red breasted bu**ers, no they are not, they are vicious territorial little ....... and sing? oh do they sing, all ruddy night, they start at about 2am and go on, and on, and on, until dawn and sometimes even longer. And it is not a pretty relaxing song, but a relentless, discordant muddle of notes that they constantly repeat. Which is even worse when there are two competing! And yes, we seem to have two in the area, and they sing at each other all ruddy night, AND THEY KEEP ME AWAKE!!!
Anyone got an air rifle??

OKAY rant over

And in case anyone suggests closing my window I cannot sleep with the window closed, my little bedroom gets so stuffy and I suffocate, so window wide open.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Re: Flippin robins!!

I can't sleep with window shut either, cows, sheep & owls make a racket here. Have you got a cat? My two go hunting most nights, robins wouldn't dare peep!
I must say though I do like their singing in the daytime though.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Are you sure you're not hearing Nightingales?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 09:30 PM

It's seagulls that keep me awake at night ..... squawk, squawk, squawk from around 3:00am onwards.

Daisymay, I'll be happy to swop my seagulls for your robins any day!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Yes we have three cats, but live on the third floor so they never go out. And as for gulls, well there is a landfill site about 5 miles away and we frequently get them round our way, but I actually like to wake to their calls, makes me feel, for a few minutes anyway, that am on holiday near the sea. And Fogey, yes am sure that am not hearing nightingales, which have a sweet trilling measured 'song' whilst these little b*****s produce an intermittent discordant racket, which I might add, kept me awake most of last night, again. And Twizard, we too have owls, well sadly just the one lonesome owl which we can frequently hear calling for a mate, and funnily enough, although the nearest cattle are over a mile away, we can frequently hear their lowing when the night is still, and that does not bother me either. But those ruddy little robins tweeting and twittering at each other all night, that drives me daft. Think because it is an 'irregular' sound at irregular intervals and therefore the brain cannot 'adjust' to the sounds. All I know is that today am going to indulge in a set of ear plugs lol.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 04:45 PM

From what I've read, robins sing at night to warn of danger.
They may also be forced do this to beat traffic noise and to attract a mate!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:10 PM

Get a cd of a robin singing, I think the RSPB do one of different birdsong or download one, they may think that there's another robin there and move off. I think I heard about that somewhere.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top