Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Britain's Atlantis Found

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/atlantis-du...4.html#6TTadh4

It's strange to think of Britain having cities beneath the sea but it does rather highlight that climate change is nothing new; not sure the 'greens' will be happy with this find!
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Re: Britain's Atlantis Found

Yes Ben, Dunwich is just a few miles along the coast from where we live in Lowestoft and is a lovely place. Folk say that on a stormy night you can still hear the church bells ringing under the sea - I have never heard them though. There is a museum there where you can see all sorts of things from the past.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Hello Stella - I'm fascinated by things like this and if I didn't now live on a tiny Island, I'd be over there having a look around!

For some reason, it had never occurred to me that this would have happened in Britain.

Have you been to have a look?
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Oh yes, been to Dunwich loads of times, there is a forest there where we walk our dog. Haven't been though since all this happened.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 04:29 PM

I'd no idea about that sunken village, how I'd love to see it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 06:19 PM

I'm fascinated by archaeology, so I love this story and will certainly pull in a visit to Dunwich next time we are in the area...
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

12-05-2013, 07:32 PM

It was more of a large town than a village - quite large. You can Google it and it will tell you all the history. A lovely place for a day out. It is now a village with nice tea rooms and of course the forest which has picnic areas with tables to sit at. We love going there.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm fascinated by archaeology, so I love this story and will certainly pull in a visit to Dunwich next time we are in the area...
If you take any photos Plantman, will you share them with us on here - and any further info you get, thank you.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I'd no idea about that sunken village, how I'd love to see it.
It's the closest we'll get to a glimpse into our past isn't it - untouched for all those years. I went to Mycenae once and they'd just unearthed a part of a village that had laid buried for centuries - walking down those cobbled streets was such a weird feeling, knowing that not many feet had trodden those cobbles since and there I was, walking in their footsteps; surreal.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 08:07 AM

I know exactly what you mean Ben-varrey. Last time my daughter came up here to visit we took the Ferry over to Orkney and went on a Sight-Seeing Tour, when we got to the Neolithic Village of Scarra Brae it was amazing to see it and how the people had lived. Also their Tombs, Maes Howe was a strange erie place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top