Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Members of Internet Forums?

(I guess we all fit into a number of categories)

The Alpha Male - So called because he believes he is always right, his opinions are those that matter the most, and woe betide anyone that disagrees with any of those views. You will be shot down in a ball of flames and then ignored for the rest of your time on a message board by the hareem of female followers Mr Alpha Male has picked up during his time here. We all know Mr A has no life thus he has to be the king of his own domain, and a message board gives him that role. Pity him. Someone has to.

The Alpha Female - She knows everyone and everything. Enough said.

The Lurker - Lurkers are unavoidable. They register, never post a thing. They look and read and observe. They can often been seen lurking in parks on hot days with sunglasses and a rainmac on, easily spotted and easily dealt with if found to be plagiarising any board content. If this is you. POST GOD DAMMIT.

The Flamer - The person that makes those little comments that suddenly turn the whole community into a village of pitchfork wielding mobhunters, threatening to chop off any and all extremities, and can be found huddled in MSN and corners, whispering, HOW DARE THEY COME HERE. Of course, the flamer is sat behind his/her desk, smirking away that their job is done for the day. A sad existance, examples of these creatures can be found running countries.

The Manic Poster - Easily spotted, they usually have the highest post count. No further explanation needed.

The Shy Poster - Makes a few posts here and there, apologises for everything they say or do or post. Can been seen hanging around the general area, mooching in the leftovers of the flame war, trying to find a backbone.

The Bad Speller - There is always one. These creatures will either be loved by everyone or bullied because of their lack of grammar and punctuation, newbies who spell badly can sometimes be targeted by the Alpha Female. Just call her a batch. It will confuse her for a while and
keep her from cybering Mr A for 15 minutes.

The Stupid One - All forums have a user that is thicker than the thighs on a russian female shotputter from Leningrad. Can be found posting in the help section, or making posts such as:- "I dont get it". These creatures often end up as lurkers, mainly because they can't understand what the hell anyone is talking about.

The Know-It-All - Yes, those people, who despite being raised by dwarves in a cave, because of course they have lived in a cave and know dwarves, can be seen posting about every experience, saying "oh I had that happen" or " I have a friend who did this" etc. For someone so knowledgable, it never fails to baffle as to why they cannot find the off switch on their PC and discover the real world.

The Newbie/Oldie - As with some communities, old members who have made a total ass of themselves in previous posts, go away, re-invent their whole persona, and re-register. They can be easily spotted as these poor delusional creatures will slip up and make reference to
something they shouldn't know anything about, but miracles of miracles. They do.

The Newbie - Depending on the person, a newbie will make a few posts here and there. It also depends on the age of your forum, the older the forum, the harder it is to fit in with the "crowd!" no doubt you will be vetted by the alpha male and female, and once deemed cool and sexy, you will fit in just fine.

The Oldie - Here from the beginning of the boards, a stalwart member, never goes anywhere else, will defend the forum until they are gasping their last consonant and vowel. These people will remember everything, find posts referencing these events, and point out how it used to be
"different" in their day. To find these creatures, just make a post on how boring it is, and you will bring them out and everyone else for that matter. Not advisable to newbies, do not make your first post and say how boring it is. You may well find yourself tipped upside down and disposed of in the delete can.

The Bullet Loader - These are creatures that don't have the balls to say something about someone, so they plant the bullet in others minds, usually via PM or MSN and sit back and watch as the gun is shot by someone else.

The Letch - Easily noticable hanging around users pictures and drooling on them. Purchasing a mop and bucket while setting up a forum is advisable.

The GoodLooking One - Just go to the picture forum and find the thread with the most posts and most views. This is generally where you will find the picture of the said Goodlooking one.

The Helper - Easily spotted clinging to a new users undercarriage, offering what help and assistance they can, and often giving out advice. These creatures are not staff as a rule. But can be mistaken for one, just double-check the staffing list, and thank the helper, and then go out
and buy some pile cream. That will ease the problem in no time.

The Staff - All message boards have staff. Depending on the owner of the board, these can be true members who show professionlism at all times, or are best buddies of the Site Owner and can get away with whatever they like. It is easy to distinguish between the two different types. Always stay calm and never allow yourself to be wound up by Staff. This is a sure-fire way to being warned or removed completely. A good rule of thumb is if you are warned, the staff are doing a good job.

Most forum owners do not like banning.

The Owner - Last but not least. A good site owner will have a sense of humour, get involved with the community, control the above examples of users in such a way that some may not recognise that flaming and bullet loading go on. Most site owners can be identified by the bags under the eyes, the constant white foaming at the mouth, the unsociable hours posts. Keeping and running a community is hard work and requires a great deal of patience and effort. Remember to thank your community leader
often.

They carry toffees in their pockets and are usually called Dave.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Re: Members of Internet Forums?

Oh! I thought we are all just people!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 08:31 PM

I'm not going to respond in case I am identified as an.............. type member, or falsely identified in my humble opinion as an ........type member.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 08:36 PM

Very wise of you Robert - I am not going to either.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Very wise of you Robert - I am not going to either.
Awww shucks Aerolor, I've already said too much.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Awww shucks Aerolor, I've already said too much.
I can keep a secret Robert.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Michael ->
...which one are you Michael
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 11:47 PM

Now that I've read this I guess I should say something or else be taken for a lurker
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 08:02 AM

I feel under underrepresented, what about "Pseudo Intellectuals" with "Flamer" tendencies, shouldn't this minority group get a mention?.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2013, 08:11 AM

No mention of "pompous old farts" I'd surely qualify for that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top