Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:15 AM

When do you have "supper" ?

We've noticed a lot recently as supper being referred to as meaning a main meal. Is it a regional thing? To me, supper is a snack you have before bedtime.

Breakfast has always been the first meal of the day but nowadays the mid-day meal is "lunch" and the one at teatime is "dinner".

When I was younger we always had our dinner at mid-day and tea at teatime. How times have changed.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Re: When do you have "supper" ?

I'd always understood that supper was a light snack before bedtime, as you have said but it's not a meal I've ever bothered with. As far as I'm aware, whichever meal is your main meal (be it midday or evening) is referred to as dinner - the other meals would then become lunch or tea.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Hi Joy, our main meal is always at lunch-time and we don't have supper. I sometimes (meaning mostly) have some crisps or some cheesy things about 8pm along with my alcoholic drink.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:29 AM

We're exactly the same as you, both now and when we were young.

For me it changed when I got married. Both of us were working, so it seemed sensible to have our main meal together in the evening.
Now, we don't feel like eating much more than a snack at lunchtime.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Yes, that's when it changed with me, when I got married, for the same reasons.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:38 AM

We have burnt matchsticks [ All Bran ]for breakfast, we have our lunch midday, and dinner is early evening, no supper whatsoever.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I'd always understood that supper was a light snack before bedtime, as you have said but it's not a meal I've ever bothered with. As far as I'm aware, whichever meal is your main meal (be it midday or evening) is referred to as dinner - the other meals would then become lunch or tea.
I would have said exactly the same as this, and don't eat late, as it keeps me awake.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-05-2013, 11:47 AM

"Burnt matchsticks" made me laugh. You sound like a regular sort of guy Wrinkly.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
"Burnt matchsticks" made me laugh. You sound like a regular sort of guy Wrinkly.
I am always punctual, if I say I will be there at 9 am. then I will be there for certain.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 12:39 PM

I usually have 'supper', my main meal about 6pm.

I spent 15 years working in a public school where supper is the usual term for the last main meal of the day. Likewise in the army, my late husband was a career soldier .

The terms used to describe meals are I guess down personal preference and circumstances.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top