Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 02:49 AM

Help - l*ptop key sticking, de*d?

First it required some force to type, now it's *lmost impossible to type the first letter of the *lph*bet, which is why I put *sterisks inste*d. Help? I'm h*rd pressed to compose using only words without the letter *.

My l*ptop is * Toshib* S*tellite, *bout 6 ye*rs old.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 05:03 AM

Re: Help - l*ptop key sticking, de*d?

Sorry to he*r th*t *nnie J*ck.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Biscuit crumbs? or some other foodstuff possibly. Try turning it upside down and shake it...GENTLY! or even a good hard blow can work wonders. Good luck.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 08:13 AM

Happened to me a few months ago and I did a vacumn on it with the pipe of course lol. Should have seen the muck that came out between the keys. Give it a gentle shake upside down as well. Should be OK then.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 08:36 AM

once a week i give my Toshiba Satelite a gentle once over with a Hoover using the brush attachment gently, hope this works ...good luck..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 01:35 PM

The easiest solution if the shaking/vacuum/blowing solutions don't work is to buy a cheap USB keyboard, plug it into a USB port and use that.

If all else fails you could try prising off the key itself to see if it is repairable yourself. One of three things will result:

1. The key will neatly pop off, you clean beneath it and pop it back on and all is well. Most likely if it was a real cheapie.
  2. You will completely bugger it and break the plastic mechanism underneath BUT there is a stub left which when pressed operates the key correctly.
  3. You will completely bugger it and break the plastic mechanism underneath and the key is totally useless

That list is from the least likely result to the most likely so it is an action you only take as a last resort. My 18 month grandson tore two keys off an old Dell of mine I still use it because #2 was the result.

The keyboard is replaceable but I suspect that at 6 years old you would be better off spending the money on a new laptop.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 05:35 PM

One alternative is to purchase one of those aerosol cans designed for this sort of problem, my son has one which he frequently uses on my keyboard, it has a tiny tube you attach and when you press the nozzle, it blows air out. excellent gadget.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Sorry to he*r th*t *nnie J*ck.

Well I turned it upside down and thumped it a bit, shook it, tried again. Then I just kept pressing the key stubbornly and it now surrenders an 'a' every 4 or 5 tries, which I can live with. I'll try the vac brush a bit later too. Thanks all.

p.s. - I like to think I'm very careful when snacking and typing but I will admit some crumbs fell out.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 11:49 PM

...just so long as it wasn't meat and two veg Annie!! That could cause permanent damage!!
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 12:27 AM

A couple of things not mentioned ...lift the key gently a wedge it slightly raised then a good hard blow ...or slide a a small paint brush underneath the key or better still a lens cleaner brush....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top