Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:48 PM

The News

I don't often moan or grumble (on here or in 'real' life) but I've got to get this off my chest.

I'm fed up of the news and its format. It is no longer news - it's just people reading out a list of the worst attrocities they can find happening anywhere in the world on a daily basis.

Am I to believe that there are no good-news stories? Nothing good or warranting a pat on the back for someone, none of that happens anywhere anymore?

Why is a diatribe of events considered news?

Just stop it news teams - people would like news items that makes them feel the world is worth living in.

That feels better
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Re: The News

I cringe sometimes when I see the kind of thing you are concerned about Ben-varrey....

Having watched the late late program "Unreported world" I am now beginning to think we are spared much of the more
graphic event images, occurring both at home and abroad.

Kate Adie was pretty fast in getting to the action & reporting it, but she developed the vacant eyes you see sometimes on people Eyes that have seentoo much
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 09:44 AM

That is part of the problem isn't it Robert - we can end up becoming immune to the gore and horror and we're just left with a feeling of hopelessness. I remember a few years ago doctors saying that the news should carry a health warning - I didn't take it that seriously at the time but now I'm beginning to wonder.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 01:04 PM

What I hate is the way they report some horrific event and then ask survivors or victim's family members how they feel! It's ghoulish!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
That is part of the problem isn't it Robert - we can end up becoming immune to the gore and horror and we're just left with a feeling of hopelessness. I remember a few years ago doctors saying that the news should carry a health warning - I didn't take it that seriously at the time but now I'm beginning to wonder.
You're so right Karen - I only watch 'part' of the news, as soon as something comes on thats too much - I flip the switch over... Have not bought a newspaper in many years, a neighbour of mine started to get a paper everyday last year due to the terrible weather, I saw her change dramatically - depressed, I pleaded with her to 'stop' buying the papers, she did, things are a lot better now...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 03:15 PM

I think it's all part of a plot, keep telling them bad news all the time and when we have them all nervous wreaks and are lucky to alive, tell them we are only going to increase VAT by 2% instead of 5%, or something similar, break them down first and then we can get anything across, after all the government controls what goes out on the news although they say otherwise.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
You're so right Karen - I only watch 'part' of the news, as soon as something comes on thats too much - I flip the switch over... Have not bought a newspaper in many years, a neighbour of mine started to get a paper everyday last year due to the terrible weather, I saw her change dramatically - depressed, I pleaded with her to 'stop' buying the papers, she did, things are a lot better now...
Do you know, I used to vow that once my Mum had gone (we swapped papers, me to read hers and she to do puzzles in mine), I would stop them. However, I still need my daily fix and really wish I could stop!! My blood pressure soars at times and yes, that doctor was so right.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Jazzi - try what I do, go to 'daily mail' online (or whatever paper it is) you can then select the bits you want to read, ignore the rest. Works for me...
They have sections you can click on...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Oh I read the Mail online all the time! But even the headlines get me going!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

29-04-2013, 06:59 PM

Oh Gawd - I know, you gotta be quick in scrolling down !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top