Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Printers

My laptop wont let me uninstall my old printer or install my new one any ideas? Also can you install an ME program onto a Windows 7 if so how?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Re: Printers

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
My laptop wont let me uninstall my old printer or install my new one any ideas? Also can you install an ME program onto a Windows 7 if so how?
You should be able to.

START > Devices & Printers > right click on the installed printer and select "Remove Device"

Make sure you are logged in as administrator or in the administrator's account. That is the only thing that I can think of that will stop you.

As a general rule Windows is backward compatible so an ME program will work on a Win7 operating system. The only exception to this that I have come across is some drivers (for printers, scanners etc) but manufacturers usually have updated drivers on their web site
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 06:57 PM

Tried that, don't work, my daughter's Windows 8 takes new printer, no probs. I have a lovely Microsoft Print-it Studio (circa2000)set that just won't install, there's nothing like it now. Should I take it to a fixer-upper? I wish the BBC would put a program on for people to learn about computers, I'm sure there are folks out there who think theirs is broken so they by a new one etc......what's an administrator by the way? See what I mean?
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Installing Win ME on you computer is not something I would recommend.?

Microsoft no longer offers support for this and it may not function properly even if you manage to install it.

However here is a guide if you would like to have a go at it.
http://thpc.info/dual/win7/dualboot_...x_on_win7.html

If you are still having trouble removing and installing printers this might help you.

Download the free version of CCleaner

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/30...-10315544.html
After installation - Load CCleaner and go to left side and click on Tools.

You should now be able to remove your current printer by following the instructions.

Your new printer should have an installation disk which should enable you to load it without any problems.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2013, 01:36 AM

Tried that, don't work, my daughter's Windows 8 takes new printer, no probs. I have a lovely Microsoft Print-it Studio (circa2000)set that just won't install, there's nothing like it now. Should I take it to a fixer-upper? I wish the BBC would put a program on for people to learn about computers, I'm sure there are folks out there who think theirs is broken so they by a new one etc......what's an administrator by the way? See what I mean?
Do a search on Youtube, add the word 'tutorial' after the name of the subject you are looking for.

Usually comes up with something but varies from mediocre to excellent. Just keep trying different expressions.

The administrator is the user on the computer that can do everything, ie add, delete or change programs and drivers. It may well be that you are not the administrator of your computer hence your difficulty. If you are the only user you should be but you might need to change the permissions of your user account if it is a computer you were given for example. For what you are doing ensuring that you have administrative permissions is essential.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

06-04-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Michael ->
Installing Win ME on you computer is not something I would recommend.?

Microsoft no longer offers support for this and it may not function properly even if you manage to install it.

However here is a guide if you would like to have a go at it.
http://thpc.info/dual/win7/dualboot_...x_on_win7.html

If you are still having trouble removing and installing printers this might help you.

Download the free version of CCleaner

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/30...-10315544.html
After installation - Load CCleaner and go to left side and click on Tools.

You should now be able to remove your current printer by following the instructions.

Your new printer should have an installation disk which should enable you to load it without any problems.
Thanks, will try. The new one has a disk, goes through all the motions but still says "installation unsuccessful" I think I'll give up!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

06-04-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Do a search on Youtube, add the word 'tutorial' after the name of the subject you are looking for.

Usually comes up with something but varies from mediocre to excellent. Just keep trying different expressions.

The administrator is the user on the computer that can do everything, ie add, delete or change programs and drivers. It may well be that you are not the administrator of your computer hence your difficulty. If you are the only user you should be but you might need to change the permissions of your user account if it is a computer you were given for example. For what you are doing ensuring that you have administrative permissions is essential.
Thank you for your help!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:27 PM

Forget ME.

As for loading your printer what message do you get when you try to install it?

Uninstall is easily done through Programs and features.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

09-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Forget ME.

As for loading your printer what message do you get when you try to install it?

Uninstall is easily done through Programs and features.
It goes through all the motions & then says "installation was unsuccessful"
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 09:31 AM

It goes through all the motions & then says "installation was unsuccessful"
Is the Printer program still there? Look in Programs and Features, the program is there then highlight it and click 'Uninstall'.
If that does not work then the way to remove is through the register which is a long drawn out process, unless you are confident in knowing what you are doing do not venture there.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top