Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
rjb
New Member!
PA, US
rjb is male 

20-03-2013, 08:39 PM

New Guy

Hi Everyone:
I'm the new guy on the block, or in this case the forum. I was walking through the mall yesterday looking at all the new techno stuff on the market when I began to think how simple life was back in the 50's just before I became 13 (I turned 12 in 1959.). My Dad had a 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. job and my Mom was a true homemaker or stay-at-home Mom. We'd come home from school, my sister and I, and Mom would offer us a snack and then we could go out and play for an hour before doing our homework. After that, dinner was always at 5:30, just after Howdy Doody and later on Bandstand and then my Dad would read the paper, Mom and Sis did the dishes and of course, I also had some small meaningless chore that my Dad would assign me just to help me build character, as he put it. Then came the evening of TV after Huntley-Brinkley. And between 9:00 and 9:30 p.m. was bedtime. That's enough for now, but I wanted to introduce myself to you by sharing how my typical day went back in the 50's. You can make your own conparison as to how the kids's life is today. Was mine better? Probably most would say, "No, just different." But, for me, I would never trade it for what goes on today with my Grandkids. Have a great day!!
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Re: New Guy

&stc=1" alt="" />

welcome ... sounds simular to my day as a kid but I had a lot more chores normally 3 hours worth after school and an hour before school... and never heard of your programmes are you american ? but then I didnt watch that much telly back then ...I was an avid reader.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Nice to meet you RJB, and a warm welcome to the forum, they are all nice folks here and easy to get along with.
I just turned 13 in 1959 and I'm inclined to agree with you that times were happier then, I read in a recent survey that the 50's was the most happy and contented decade of the last century.
Pollyanna
New Member!
south, uk
Pollyanna is female 

20-03-2013, 09:27 PM

Hi RJB, welcome to the forum from another newcomer, I only joined yesterday myself.

I was 10 in 1959 and would go back to those days in a heartbeat given the choice - I hope they show old vids in heaven.

I think you had better quality TVs in America in those days than we did here though, I remember the telly was on the blink a lot back in the day. a swift thump on the side was usually the 1st thing my dad would try to stop the screen picture rolling round and round in ever faster circles.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Hi RJB a warm welcome to the forum!

I would also say children had a happier life back in the 50's compared to today. We made our own fun and learned how to respect our elders.

We didn't have a TV until I had finished school, my Dad said it would have been too much of a distraction for me at that time!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:11 PM

Hello Robert
I'm a fairly newbie too and have been chatting away like a mad person since joining. I blame it on a cold I have ~ stuck indoors and bored witless.

It's nice here ~ hope you enjoy it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:15 PM

Hello Robert welcome, I look forward to chatting with you .
astrolady
Field
astrolady is female  astrolady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 12:46 AM

Hello Robert and welcome

I joined a few days ago (along with some friends) and love it here, the people are so friendly and you'll soon find that out for yourself.

The 50's to me was a magical time and i had a wonderful childhood thanks to loving parents and family. People today have what i call a "choice overload" and seem to trivialise gifts on their birthdays/christmas etc. We live in a throwaway society and not much is appreciated any more.
Gone are the days when we (at Christmas) got excited at a half-crown in the bottom of our pillow-cases with a tin of toffees,colouring books and crayons,some fruit and a posh tin of toffees.
Hope you'll come back and chat some more.
rjb
New Member!
PA, US
rjb is male 

21-03-2013, 08:37 AM

As I read over the replies, it has become apparent to me that because many of you are from Europe and I am from the U.S. we have many differences as to what when on during the 50's. My Christmasses were somewhat different, in that we were given different types of presents, but nonetheless,none of us received the expensive items that kids get today. I am amazed when I see the "haul" that my Grandkids get for Christmas. I would imagine that my daughter spend at least $1000.00 on each of her two boys last Christmas. To me, this is just unbelievable.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Good morning Robert matey and welcome

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top