Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:06 AM

A Heart Warming Event

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/stranger-sa...9.html#rvl3p1e

I've long said that schools should teach every pupil first aid - this shows why.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Re: A Heart Warming Event

Terrifying for her parents but a happy outcome thank goodness.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Sadly another useful topic missed off the school curriculum to satisfy the politicians demands to improve 'pass rates'.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sadly another useful topic missed off the school curriculum to satisfy the politicians demands to improve 'pass rates'.
I don't think it's ever been on the curriculum Uncle Joe - it wasn't when I was at school. My two granddaughters said they did First Aid at school - for one morning! They leanred how to put a plaster on, put a burn under cold running water - really basic stuff. During my 20 years as a Scout Leader, all the youngsters in my section did First Aid to a reasonable degree (for obvious reasons given what Scouting gets up to). What a difference it would make if we could all look out for one another instead of hoping someone else will know!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Its a good idea to do First Aid. My youngest son did have some lessons at school years ago. It wasnt on the curriculem. Even the small things your granddaughter learnt will come in handy. I have learnt alot of FA from watching programmes like Casualty and Rolf Harris on the RSPCA programme. I have saved a few people from choking and I saved my cat a few years ago and this year she will be 11 instead of dead at 7. Thanks Rolf.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Thank goodness there was a calm person there to take control of things and the outcome was good. I think most parents would be slightly hysterical if they were faced with that situation

We didn't have First Aid lessons when I was at school but I did join a weekly St John's Ambulance Junior class when I was 10 which I found informative and useful.

Both my grandchildren have had basic First Aid instruction whilst in their Junior school.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 02:37 PM

As a full-time youth worker for 35+ years, I had to be up-to-date with my First Aid throughout my career. Good job too! There were several occasions when I had to use it in life-threatening situations (for the patient, not me!) - some of those were in wilderness situations where even simple accidents could quickly become fatal if not promptly dealt with. Our training was brilliant and in scary situations the training kicked in and I was able to deal with the situations calmly and authoritatively. On one occasion (nothing to do with work), my wife and I were the first at the scene of a road accident involving two vehicles and 9 people, 5 of them young children. Looking back, I have no idea why we didn't panic, but using our training we were able to organise the onlookers and local residents to call the emergency services and request an air ambulance; do a basic triage on all the casualties and make them as comfortable as possible, make the area as safe as possible and help comfort the worst injured until the ambulances arrived. That night in bed (and for some weeks afterwards) we had the most dreadful nightmares with the soundtrack of the incessant screaming of two of the kids. Thank goodness we only panicked in our sleep, and thank goodness for the effective training we had received.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

20-03-2013, 03:32 PM

I think basic first aid should be taught to every pupil when in primary school.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I think basic first aid should be taught to every pupil when in primary school.
Yes Willow darlin' - I agree - whoa am I mellowing in my dotage or what??? - we've agreed on several occasions this past couple of weeks.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

20-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Willow darlin' - I agree - whoa am I mellowing in my dotage or what??? - we've agreed on several occasions this past couple of weeks.
I must be doing something wrong!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top