Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Fond memories - what are yours?

Any memories that you are particularly fond of? Share them with us
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Re: Fond memories - what are yours?

I think my fondest memories are when I was a kid, coming from a bit family there was always something going on,going blackberry picking on a Sunday morning with my Dad, spending holidays at my Grandparents Farm, I was lucky had a good childhood, live in the country and basically spent all my time outdoors....
I used to walk all the neighbours dogs as I was never allowed one of my own....
cathy
essex
cathy is female  cathy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 09:59 PM

my early memorys was of me playing on the farm in scotland. we had a railway line that ran along the bottom of the feilds. remember the steam trains that used it.
the freedom of running wild (and we could do that then,it was safe.) also halloween plaaying apple bobbing.
i remeber my mum had a broken leg and was pregnant with my brother. and i asked the doc every week have u got the baby in your bag.??? oh i went to a nursery and we used to have nap time. i couldnt sleep. so i spent ages doing up every other kids shoes together. only way i got caught was cause i didnt do mine. i eventully got EXPELLED from there at the age of 4. i bit a nun.
and my first day of school. i was naughty and the teacher said that i would have to stay at school after the bell had gone. my god i was terriified i ran out of there as soon as the bell rang.
there was twin brothers who used to bully us, their dad was the local policeman so he let them get away for it.
and we used to have story time on the mat. and there was the class pet. her name was linda. she had blond ringlets. and litte piggy eyes (i didnt like her i was a farm kid)
well one day she was sitting on the mat. and she was wearing a yellow sticky out party frock. all lace n net. boy was i jealous so i slowly inched my way over onto her dress.and put my knees on it. and come the end of the story linda jumped up. and RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP yep it tore, boy was i in trouble for that lol
i was quite the handfull when i was little. and all that was B4 i reached the age of 5 lol
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2009, 05:58 PM

My first day in a tiny village school house in Derbyshire with a dozen other children and being allowed to sit on a wicker chair by the big open fire while stroking the school cat.

Sharing a big feather bed with my grandmother when it was freezing cold and ice covered the inside of the windows.

Having trepence to spend on sweets when Mr Bates the baker came around with his van which smelt of fresh bread. The anticipation of his arrival and the actual choosing of the sweets was equal to eating them.

Snow so deep it came to the top of the hedges, walking to school through the deep snow wearing mittens heated by Dad on the grill of the gas cooker.
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2009, 06:54 PM

The night my hubby took me home to meet his family is a memory that will stick in my mind for ever.
I have just one brother and had come from a very quiet family.
My hubby is the sixth child of 15 I spent the following days reciting their names trying to remember them all.
They lived on a farm and as I made my way to the front door a cow put it's head over the wall and gave a very loud Mooooo, frightening me to death

My most precious memory is the birth of my first grandchild. I was lucky enough to be present and will never forget the joy of seeing that little girl enter the world.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2009, 03:28 PM

The school years without a doubt, in the early 50's the summers were definitely warmer and I remember catching minnows with a net in the local river.

Then there was tattie picking in the autumn, all the school kids were taken by coach to farms as far away as 20 miles to help with the potato harvest.

Ahh, those were the days, remember the novel "cider and Rosie", it was as good as that.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2009, 03:48 PM

I also have happy memories of my schooldays and the amount of freedom we had in those days...... we used to make our fun from simple things.

My fondest memory was feeling honoured to be asked to be present at the birth of my grandson, seven years (almost) ago. I was allowed to hold him first.....even before my daughter did.....I felt so proud
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2009, 10:46 PM

In the autumn we pinched apples like boys do and played conkers.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Thast something we did as children...pinched apples!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Oh, pinching apples! There were a half dozen apple trees on the grounds of my high school and we were strictly forbidden to pick them as they were for the nuns...well, nothing takes as good as a stolen apple! Never got caught, either.

I spent my Summers as a child at my Grandmas in a small town in Pennsylvania, in those pre-polio vaccine days kids were sent to the country if possible. I loved it; the chickens, the huge vegetable garden, picking grapes before they were quite ripe and getting a stomachache .... and as has been said, the utter freedom to roam around outside all day safely. I feel sorry for what the children growing up today miss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top