Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 02:50 PM

M&S prudes

I was visiting family in Sheffield so Dianne (Mrs.G) took the opportunity to visit M&S to do some clothes shopping there.
She chose some items to try on and headed for the 'Fitting Rooms'. No members of staff there, so she picked a cubicle and started to try on the clothes. I waited in the lobby of the fitting rooms as Dianne wanted my opinion on the clothes. After a few minutes, a woman appeared and asked e to leave, indicating that these were the ladies' fitting rooms.

No, they are simply labled 'Fitting rooms'.
Dianne appeared and the woman asked her if she had a token.
No, she had waited but no member of staff came.
Then she asked why I wasn't there to see the clothes and I said that the 'jobsworth' wouldn't allow me to.

Dianne handed her the clothes and informed her that she wouldn't be buying anything in that store. As we went off to 'customer services' to complain, we saw the woman having a look at the sign which still said 'Fitting Rooms'.

Of course 'Customer Service' didn't give a toss and simply said that since the fitting rooms were located near the ladieswear, it was the ladies changing room.

We pointed out that in 2013, NOT 1913, such attitudes were totally outdated and we had never encountered such a restriction before. In fact, in much of Europe, seating is provided within the changing area for family and partners.

Of course they won't do anything. Losing one customer doesn't bother them, but we will never buy anything from M&S again.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Re: M&S prudes

Oh dear George, that was a bad experience which should never have happened

I often shop in M & S and when I try garments on my hubby always sits in one of the two seats in the lobby area. While I'm in the cubicle trying things on I can often hear the assistant and him chatting away amicably together outside.

What a difference in your M & S, it appears that assistant badly needs a refresher course in Customer Relations.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Oh dear George , M & S generally have special fitting rooms for underwear and I haven't seen men in there but in the other fitting rooms it is not unusual to see men in the lobby area as Mags says.

M&S certainly isn't the shop it used to be...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Yes, I wondered if it was simply an over-zealous member of staff, though the guys in customer relations felt that men would not normally be there.

But, I was simply waiting in the lobby of the changing rooms (no seats) and as I remarked, I've never encountered this restriction before. As for M&S, since we live in the country, we have to travel to the city to visit many of the larger shops. We hoped to take advantage of shopping in Sheffield while we were there, but felt very put off by M&S.

Perhaps we'll wait till we're abroad and visit C&A. No such problems there - underwear or otherwise.
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 11:53 PM

I have to say one of my big gripes about these clothes shops, is that when I take my daughter shopping for clothes and she disappears into the changing rooms carrying a pile of clothes to try on, there is nowhere to sit and I know she will not be out for 10 to 15 minutes. I am thinking of buying one of those walkings sticks that turns into a seat or just sprawl out across the floor and get in everyones way or perhaps I'm just not cut out for this type of shopping.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2013, 06:06 AM

I stopped shopping in M&S a long time ago. Didn't have a bad experience or anything...just thought their clothes were becoming rubbish.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Yes, I wondered if it was simply an over-zealous member of staff, though the guys in customer relations felt that men would not normally be there.

But, I was simply waiting in the lobby of the changing rooms (no seats) and as I remarked, I've never encountered this restriction before. As for M&S, since we live in the country, we have to travel to the city to visit many of the larger shops. We hoped to take advantage of shopping in Sheffield while we were there, but felt very put off by M&S.

Perhaps we'll wait till we're abroad and visit C&A. No such problems there - underwear or otherwise.

George matey, don't leave it there. Write a letter of complaint to M&S head office - you might receive compensation and an apology and it may lead to a change in attitude too.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Have to agree with Uncle Joe, report it higher up, if it stays in store nothing will change.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 06:55 PM

No dont bother to complain, you will only get the standard reply.
M& S are a big rip off company as well.
We do not live in the U k, but my wife wanted to buy some goods from M&S in the U K on line. Now these goods should be delivered here free of U k VAT as when they arrive in this country we have to pay the V AT from here. But no, M&S say yes they do take the V A T off, so in theory the price should be an amount, less the U K VAT, but it is the same price, so M&S are either not taking the V A T off, or if they are they are , then claiming that back from the Customs and Excise, and also charging the overseas customer another 17.5%. They are the only U K company that we have dealt with that carry out this practice, even a very small on -line shop has the facility to remove the V AT. This has been reported many times on various forums by people from many different countries, so beware if you buy on line from M&S
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
George matey, don't leave it there. Write a letter of complaint to M&S head office - you might receive compensation and an apology and it may lead to a change in attitude too.
I agree this is worth a try. I worked at Sears back in the seventies and we had seating in the change room areas. I don't recall anyone ever objecting to a husband waiting there while his wife tried on outfits.

While working in ladies wear I once had a gentleman ask me what size I would take in a winter coat as I looked about his wife's height and build. He then brought me a coat he thought she'd like and asked me to 'model' it for him, liked it, and bought it for her as a gift.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top