Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 06:45 PM

I thought everyone knew (useful tips).......

I thought I would start a thread for all those little household/beauty/whatever tips that we use and assume everyone else knows about, but maybe don't. For instance earlier in another thread about scones it turned out that some people did not know about not handling the dough too much, and not 'twisting' the cutter. So here goes ..

To avoid salt in shakers getting damp and clogging up, just put a few grains of raw rice in with the salt.

So, your hands are dry, rough, and dirty, after maybe gardening or cleaning the car or spring cleaning or whatever else; simply squirt a little lemon juice into the palm of one hand, add maybe a teaspoon of sugar, then 'wash' hands with the mixture, for a few minutes, rinse off and dry. Cheap and oh so very effective.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Re: I thought everyone knew (useful tips).......

If the glass on your wood burner is all sooty and brown use some of last nights wood ash on wet kitchen roll rub it firmly into the marks and your glass will soon be gleaming
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Oh and here is a cookery one told to me many years ago. I had been roped in to help out waitressing for Christmas dinner at a rather posh restaurant and the chef had placed huge platters of mince pies at the entrance and exit of the 'L-shaped' kitchen to fortify us. They literally melted in the mouth. The secret? He had creamed butter with a little sugar, then when it was light a fluffy, gradually stirred in the flour until it was the usual 'pastry' consistency. Have done it myself and it results in amazingly light and crispy pastry.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

24-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Hey Nobaggage yours reminded me of another, using a damp sheet of kitchen roll dipped into cigarette ash will remove those rings left by hot things left on wooden tables.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 07:15 PM

Some good tips there Ladies, I'll pass them on to the wife, thanks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Some good tips there Ladies, I'll pass them on to the wife, thanks.
Maybe your good lady will have some tips of her own that she may like to share with us, Jem
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Maybe your good lady will have some tips of her own that she may like to share with us, Jem
I remember her telling the woman next door a good tip once Mags, she said "Make sure your husband has good gripping shoes on when he's holding the ladder for you." very thoughtful of her dont you think.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I remember her telling the woman next door a good tip once Mags, she said "Make sure your husband has good gripping shoes on when he's holding the ladder for you." very thoughtful of her dont you think.
very thoughful indeed, Jem!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 10:05 PM

Good tips there
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Dragon used to clean her jewelry in Sal Volately (the liquid used in smelling salts), but it works equally well if soaked in either Vodka or Gin.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top