Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Aprons

Does anyone wear an apron these days? When I was a kid in the 50s most women, if not all wore aprons when going about their daily chores, but since about the 60s their use seems to have discontinued. Apart from very young children wearing these plastic ones for messy play activities, and occasionally men wearing those stripey ones at BBQs, no one seems to wear them anymore, not even very elderly women. I can't remember when I last wore one, I don't even own one I don't think.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Re: Aprons

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Does anyone wear an apron these days? When I was a kid in the 50s most women, if not all wore aprons when going about their daily chores, but since about the 60s their use seems to have discontinued. Apart from very young children wearing these plastic ones for messy play activities, and occasionally men wearing those stripey ones at BBQs, no one seems to wear them anymore, not even very elderly women. I can't remember when I last wore one, I don't even own one I don't think.
Was given one as part of a Xmas prezzie last Xmas Willow darlin' - its currently hanging up with my kitchen utensils.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 10:20 AM

My mother bought me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. Black with 'Don't mess with the Chef' on the front.
I wear it at Christmas when I'm there
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Yes I wear one when cooking, I'm not the most clean chef I tend to spill and splash so it saves my clothes from the worst of it. Also have another I wear when I groom the dogs, saves me getting covered in retriever hair.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 11:25 AM

I had to wear a pinny (an overall one to put over my school uniform at lunch tme) and had an apron for the evening! Hated them!

I never see, or know anyone now who wear them - never seem them for sale in shops, unless online!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
I had to wear a pinny (an overall one to put over my school uniform at lunch tme) and had an apron for the evening! Hated them!

I never see, or know anyone now who wear them - never seem them for sale in shops, unless online!
I haven't seen them on sale either.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 11:59 AM

Yes I wear Aprons all the time mostly navy and white cooks aprons
I think it is quite hygienic to put a clean apron on before you start cooking .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 01:29 PM

I don't see many aprons around anymore either, my wife never wears one neither does the daughter.
I wear a leather apron when I have to melt metals in the shed, hate having it on me but it's essential really.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 01:42 PM

I was given an Apron by my Italian S-I-L about 30 years ago, it's a pretty red paisley design one and I've never worn it! I keep it now for my young granddaughter to wear when visits and wants to do some cake making ..... she knows where I keep it and always goes to the drawer to fetch it.

There are hundreds of aprons for sale on Amazon ..... some very cheeky ones too that I'm sure would appeal to Jem!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 01:57 PM

No, I don't have an apron, if I need one I use a large tea towel tucked in the waistband.
I do remember my s i l had some, with plastic in the waistband, so that you didn't have to tie. (bit like large bicycle clips) she slid the plastic out for washing.
Wonder if you can buy them still?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top