Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Taxi to Tesco Trifle Treat

Many moons may have passed & I cringe when I recall the day I was on my own & carless for a couple of days. I ate from the fridge the first day but was very peckish the second day so I called for a taxi to take me to Tesco. Once in the store I found myself in front of a huge display of trifles, I was weak & took the biggest one to the checkout, just the trifle, nothing else.
By a stroke of good fortune the taxi was still outside . The driver was filling in a form or some such thing, actually a lottery form.I asked.
“Are you OK to take me back”
He was & did.

That was my taxi to Tesco trifle treat. Extravagant because the taxi cost 4 times the trifle at least, but what the heck, it gave me a little tale to tell..

Have you anything extravagant to confess to?
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2013, 09:45 PM

Re: Taxi to Tesco Trifle Treat

Yes .... a sad story
I fell in love with a gingerman (cat) who was advertised in a cat rescue place with a sad story. I drove over 1000 miles to get him paid a small fortune to have him. Got him home kept him in for 3 weeks which he hated plus he hated me and my other cat and dog who only wanted to be friends with him. My husband comes home lets him out by mistake and I have never seen him again .... I often wonder where he is poor lad. But I think he was pretty feral so is probally happy in the forrest behind my house hunting and staying away from people .
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2013, 10:10 PM

That made me smile Baggy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 12:03 AM

Good heavens Robert that must have been an expensive trifle I hope you enjoyed it.

I don't really do extravagant things I can tell you about an extravagance I enjoyed.

Before retiring I worked in a Public School. One of our girls was related to one of the worlds wealthiest men. On her birthday a van arrived from Harrods containing two birthday cakes one for the girls the other for the staff , it took two men to carry each cake

The same thing happened at Easter only that time two huge Easter eggs arrived . I think you could have fed a family for a week on the cost of these items and their delivery.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 12:19 AM

That was great Meg. How the other half live eh?

Baggy's tale reminds me of a former time when I kept parakeets. One day a Stanley parakeet flew into my garden, lost & bewildered. I caught it up, it was ringed, but despite making enquiries, no one claimed the bird, a hen.
In due course I purchesed a mate & gave them a nice new aviary.
My dad turned up next day& pointed out to me that one of the birds was dead on the ground. Shocked, I carelessly opened the aviary door & the other bird flew straight out..
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

16-02-2013, 10:23 AM

I treated myself to a brand new car last month, because I felt like it. I have bought a car a year for the last three years, giving the previous one to whichever of my kids wanted it. Those cars were a few months old. On a whim I thought I deserved a treat for once so indulged myself, but only because I got a brilliant deal. Eldest daughter was pleased to accept last year's car.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I treated myself to a brand new car last month, because I felt like it. I have bought a car a year for the last three years, giving the previous one to whichever of my kids wanted it. Those cars were a few months old. On a whim I thought I deserved a treat for once so indulged myself, but only because I got a brilliant deal. Eldest daughter was pleased to accept last year's car.

Just goes to show Willow darlin' - some people have larger bank balances than their mental IQ.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

16-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Just goes to show Willow darlin' - some people have larger bank balances than their mental IQ.
Well I hope so, I would be pretty broke if I only had £40 in cash!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Going back to 1969 when we lived in a furnished flat in the town centre I awoke to the sound of my baby son crying, I got up and made him a bottle and off to sleep he went, but hard as I tried I couldn't nod off again. It was about 1am and I made a cup of coffee then went to my pocket to get my smokes, they were all gone and all the shops were shut, in those days the garage's only sold petrol and oil, I was at my wit's end as only a dedicated smoker knows, so I put on my coat and went out the door, not sure of where I was going. I turned off O'Connell street into a side street where I heard music and people laughing, it was a dance hall I knew well and I also knew they sold cigarettes, I went up the steps and said to the bouncer "Excuse me please, I'm just going in for smokes." "That'll be seventeen and six please." says he with his palm open, "The dance is over in half an hour, will you not take ten bob." I pleaded. "Take it of leave it." he said, taking a long slow drag on his cigarette then blowing out little smoke circles every second. The bloody smokes were only three bob, so it cost me over £1 altogether, but on reflection it was worth it, I must have smoked 10 before I went to bed. The wife had slept through the night, anyway I was only gone for less than 15 minutes, later the next week when she was sending my coat to be dry cleaned she found a dated dance hall ticket in the pocket, explaining that and saying you weren't there is another story.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Fabulous story Jem..... I know how that feels - but trust you to keep the ticket in yer pocket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top