Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Inanimate - but sentient??

Does anyone else get the feeling sometimes that certain supposedly inanimate objects are actually sentient? And what is more, taking the michael? Our hot water/heating comes from a back boiler (behind the unused gas fire in the lounge) and it is driving me nuts. Actually has been doing so since we moved in around 9 years ago. Basically the ignition 'chip' is faulty. So, when the water/room temperature is correct the boiler switches off, when it cools, theoretically it is supposed to switch back on. Therein lies the problem. First we hear the 'click' as the switch tries to re-ignite, then, click again, and again, and - well you get the picture. Cue little red light. Get up, press switch and wait to hear that system has fired up again, sit down, little red light comes back on. Do this half a dozen times and eventually light stays off.

Next step, ring housing association to inform them of problem, out comes engineer, and we go through the same palaver. Only this time, no ruddy red light, each and every flamin' time we run the water or alter the thermostat, it fires up first time no ruddy problem!!!!! He stays half an hour or so just to make sure, but in all that time, no red light!! But. Guess what happens as I hear the downstairs front door slam shut and see him walk down the path? Yup you've guessed it, on comes the £$%&* red light. And I am sure that on some sound level inaudible to humans, there could be heard hysterical giggling.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Re: Inanimate - but sentient??

Hi there Des - good post and it 'does' seem to be the way... Used to be the telly with us, never showed the fault when engineer came !
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Our boiler did just the same thing. Only it is a new condensing boiler. It did have the decency to wait until the one year maker's guarantee had run out before deciding not to fire up when asked.
Want some hot water? You'll be lucky! just up to the whims of the boiler. Sometimes yes, often no.
instructions for procedure if red light on
press reset button for 2 seconds...and then read diagnostic....arghhh
the diagnostic was just four leds which always showed the code for no gas.
Eventually sorted by a local heating engineer, all hail Tim Whieldon!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 12:19 AM

I think my new washing machine is Des it decided what to do with my washing, beeps all the time and even tells me off when I put too much detergent in it I hate it and all 'new fangled' equipment
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Does anyone else get the feeling sometimes that certain supposedly inanimate objects are actually sentient? And what is more, taking the michael? Our hot water/heating comes from a back boiler (behind the unused gas fire in the lounge) and it is driving me nuts.
I read a book years ago discussing the "psychology of machines" I think it was by Norman Mailer but not sure.

All I can say is thank god for hot water powered by off peak electricity - cheap and cheerful.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 04:21 AM

Sometimes I have to contort myself to start my 'self igniting' gas oven when the switch refuses to ignite , the pilot light thingie is at the back of the oven and I have to get on my knees to reach it and at the same time keep the knob on the front of the stove pushed in while I try to relight the ignition , this results in an accumulation of gas fumes and I'm lucky I haven't blown my head off yet, but just as I'm about to admit defeat' thar she blows'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think my new washing machine is Des it decided what to do with my washing, beeps all the time and even tells me off when I put too much detergent in it I hate it and all 'new fangled' equipment

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top