Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Copycats

Does anyone else get annoyed when some people put up witty remarks , quotes, articles etc without saying where they came from? I mean we all see stuff that we wish we'd said/wrote but there's absolutely no shame in putting up a link or just saying "this was on another forum and I thought I'd see what you think of it" etc
May sound petty to some I know but it irritates the hell outta me when it's blatantly bloomin' obvious to most.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 10:58 AM

Re: Copycats

Personally I don't think it matters at all. You are sharing something that you think others may not have seen and may enjoy. What does it matter who wrote it originally. You are not saying you wrote it just sharing it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 12:56 PM

I can't say it really bothers me either. There is not a lot that is truly original anyway (even researchers use resources and start off from somewhere). Most things have been said before or are variations on something said by someone else at some time. There might be a bit of "one-upmanship" or a hope by someone to come across as clever, but who cares? Blatant plagarism for personal material gain is a bit different, but like Doglover says mostly things are intended to be shared on forums so I don't think it matters. I would like to have one original thought a day - I might get rich (somebody has probably already said that as well)
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Hmmm! I'm not talking about memes or gifs here, what if you did have an original idea/story etc and someone put it on a forum giving the impression that they'd wrote it themslves and people responded by saying what a talented person this poster is blah blah and all the while the copycat says nothing ,wouldn't you be a little bit miffed ? or d'you think it's petty and mean for the OP to feel tetchy ?

(original poster)
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

12-02-2013, 01:22 PM

No doubt some people did write the stuff themselves, and others are jealous they didn't think of it first. However if it is copied then yes they should acknowledge where it came from!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Doesn't bother me at all, although on another forum I am on I do say where I have found an article, or if I post up a poem I always acknowlege the site I got it from.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 04:46 PM

You may not recall who wrote an article or poem - just to say - saw this item, thought I'd share, is enough......
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
You may not recall who wrote an article or poem - just to say - saw this item, thought I'd share, is enough......
Thats what I think Pat after all you are not attempting to publish it for money or anything like that. Its just a discussion forum.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Thats what I think Pat after all you are not attempting to publish it for money or anything like that. Its just a discussion forum.
Hi val - makes sense doesn't it.....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Taking something someone else has written and claiming it as your own is wrong and pathetic in my view, but spreading something you think is funny or interesting around is harmless. When I get a couple of good jokes on here I tell all the lads in the pub and they all have a good laugh, nobody minds that, jokes and news are for sharing.
I often wondered how someone 'Sells' their jokes, suppose you made up three brilliant jokes and went to sell them to a top comedian, you have to tell him the jokes before he pays you and once he's heard them he can say he hates them and go bugger off, your not getting any money from me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top