Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 12:51 AM

Firefox 18

Has any one had the latest Firefox browser update (18.0.02) and had a problem with the history settings ??
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 05:22 AM

Re: Firefox 18

I am using Firefox 18.0.1 and can't say I have had any trouble with it. I can't say that I use the History very often but when I have it seems to be OK.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 05:25 AM

After typing that last message Firefox updated itself to 18.0.2 and a quick look at the history seemed to be OK. What exactly is the problem you are having?
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 08:02 AM

I'm on it and not got any problems that I can see
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 10:30 AM

it started just after it updated ....I manually cleared some old history and cookies , as i gave done many times before because of adverts popping up all over the place.after that it refused to let me auto log onto websites like this one even after manually logging back and saving pass words etc.....i then found that the 'restore previous history' tab didn't work...and NO HISTORY WAS STORED ..it was deleted every-time a closed Firefox...I know all privacy and cookie settings were correct as been using Firefox for years..I deleted firefox several times and re-installed but that didnt work either .....The only way i got over it was to un-install it totally that meant all the stored info ..ie history passwords cookies and start from scratch gain .....everything now seems ok ....dont know what it was ...something got corrupted somewhere??
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 03:46 PM

I'm on Firefox 18.0.2 and have not encountered any problems here ......yet!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
The only way i got over it was to un-install it totally that meant all the stored info ..ie history passwords cookies and start from scratch gain .....everything now seems ok ....dont know what it was ...something got corrupted somewhere??
Yes, in the Profiles folder from the sound of it. The Profiles folder is created by Firefox when it is initially installed and run. It lasts until it is removed separately. Purely re-installing Firefox doesn't change anything in the Profile folder. Files in it might get updated as Firefox goes from version to version but essentially, it's the same Profile as was created the first day Firefox was installed. This often makes a Profiles folder pretty old and troubles can originate from there.

You could most likely have overcome the problem by creating a new Profile but reinstalling everything, including the Profile, gives the same result. Just best to back up your bookmarks first so they can be imported into the new Profile.

You don't have to remove an existing Profile to create a new one. It's possible create a 2nd Profile and get it working before removing the troublesome one. Creating a 2nd one to see if it cures the fault makes a good test. Keep the new Profile if it cures the problem, remove it again if it doesn't. It's also possible to have any number of Firefox Profiles if you want to, each one with a different configuration. Here's how to create a new Firefox Profile:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Ma..._a_new_profile

The Firefox Profiles folder contains: Bookmarks - Passwords - Themes - Extensions - Customizations - Download Manager - History. Below is a link to a Mozilla page showing a complete list of files in the Profiles folder with a description of what they do.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_fo...in_the_profile
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

06-02-2013, 05:37 PM

I think i possibly know what caused the problem 1 of 2 things... ...Norton asked to do a system clean up which included cleaning the registry which was before norton updated ...second i had a total crash i could do nothing not even switch off , so i was forced to remove the battery ...that was immediately after firefox updated I was careful and backed up my bookmarks ....I downloaded google chrome exported it to that I don't like chrome ...seems a bit to basic to me ...once i got Firefox repaired i transferred it all back ...I still lost my passwords etc but my bookmarks are important as got all my job sites in there ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

06-02-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
...once i got Firefox repaired i transferred it all back ...I still lost my passwords etc but my bookmarks are important as got all my job sites in there ....
Lost your passwords? for some time Firefox has a built in sync program which keeps all your passwords and bookmarks encoded "in the cloud" - prior to that there were add ins available that did the same job. Not only does this mean that if your computer crashes passwords and bookmarks are not lost and it also means that all your computers have exactly the same bookmarks and passwords (if you have several computers). The encoding means that no one else can see them.

Once set up it is automatic and absolutely brilliant. Not making full use of this facility is foolish. it is very easy to set up.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

07-02-2013, 10:36 AM

I didn't know that ...i will check that out ...I have synced FF between 2 computers before ....
my present storage media for passwords is a bit unreliable...it tends to get corrupted easily...it call my head ...lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top