Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dabby
uk
dabby is male  dabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 02:13 AM

The good old days ...

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes .
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC or Subway.
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
Only girls had pierced ears!
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating.
Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'.

And the boys did this in the snow ..
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Re: The good old days ...

They were great days but I am afraid that we now live in a nanny state dabby, the powers that be think they know best but they don't.
Mind you we take no notice and do whatever we want to do.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Dabby, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that extract from your memories. More please.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

31-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Whilst I think we are probably overprotective of children these days, I certainly don't think the days of yore had much to recommend them at all!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 10:44 AM

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be!

Yes, and catching measles, mumps, chicken pox etc... were rites of passage.
You could buy boxes of bangers and jumping jacks at Haloween
You had real friends that you met - not virtual ones that only exist on the internet.

Yes, there were lots of simple pleasures - like getting dressed in bed and then scraping ice off the inside of the windows - oh what fun.
But if you think it was all wonderful - just remember one word - "Dentist".
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Whilst I think we are probably overprotective of children these days, I certainly don't think the days of yore had much to recommend them at all!
Apart from them being a lot more fun to be a kid in....
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 11:10 AM

I'm glad I was a kid in the 50s and 60s rather than today. We had far more fun and freedom then. Kids today are mollycoddled thats for sure.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 11:20 AM

I will pass that one on.

http://tinyurl.com/b3v49ju

Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 11:51 AM

Loved the link, Michael

I think the "good old days" were far more family orientated and people didn't "compete" with each other to have what the "jones's" had! People helped each other and were a lot happier. My Mum never worked - she was a full time housewife. Things may have been hard but we were all happy then.

Aye "those were the days"
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

31-01-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be!

Yes, and catching measles, mumps, chicken pox etc... were rites of passage.
You could buy boxes of bangers and jumping jacks at Haloween
You had real friends that you met - not virtual ones that only exist on the internet.

Yes, there were lots of simple pleasures - like getting dressed in bed and then scraping ice off the inside of the windows - oh what fun.
But if you think it was all wonderful - just remember one word - "Dentist".
Our dentist, when I was a kid, was a sadist, he enjoyed inflicting pain! It is only in the last five years than I can face a trip to the dentist without fear. Our present one is so good he almost makes an extraction seem like a pleasure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top