Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Poetry

Can someone explain to me why something can be called poetry if it doesn't rhyme?

I've just seen part of the inaugaration in America and they had a "poet" recite a very long winded diatribe that never once rhymed, yet he was introduced as a poet reciting his poem.

I remember reading poetry at school but it always rhymed, even the one about "The boy stood on the burning deck" rhymed...

It's a mystery to me, can anyone offer any explanation...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2013, 08:04 PM

Re: Poetry

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Can someone explain to me why something can be called poetry if it doesn't rhyme?

I've just seen part of the inaugaration in America and they had a "poet" recite a very long winded diatribe that never once rhymed, yet he was introduced as a poet reciting his poem.

I remember reading poetry at school but it always rhymed, even the one about "The boy stood on the burning deck" rhymed...

It's a mystery to me, can anyone offer any explanation...
I've noticed 'arty-farty' poems should 'not' rhyme...
Its just not the 'done' thing to rhyme dear boy.....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2013, 09:15 PM

I don’t think poetry is defined by rhyming .Anyone can write couplets, that is a series of rhyming pairs of lines. It takes inspiration & thought to produce poetry of note.

I had no time for poetry until one night I was dragged along to a poetry evening at which people read out their own poetry. It was a revelation.

Here is a well known poem . I don’t think it rhymes at all ,but it’s unmistakeably poetry.
Cargoes by John Masefield

Quinquireme of Nineveh from distant Ophir,
Rowing home to haven in sunny Palestine,
With a cargo of ivory,
And apes and peacocks,
Sandalwood, cedarwood, and sweet white wine.

Stately Spanish galleon coming from the Isthmus,
Dipping through the Tropics by the palm-green shores,
With a cargo of diamonds,
Emeralds, amythysts,
Topazes, and cinnamon, and gold moidores.

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,
Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
With a cargo of Tyne coal,
Road-rails, pig-lead,
Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

I expect it’s as clear as mud now.
I have just noticed that the 2nd & 5th lines DO rhyme.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 01:52 AM

Don't want to be a bore but I taught high school English and this is the definition of a poem: A literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm.

Poetry doesn't have to have rhyme but it has to have rhythm. Most of the great poets - Shakespeare, Tennyson, Milton, Shelley etc - all wrote unrhymed poetry as well as rhymed.

Tennyson's Ulysses is my favourite:

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/ulysses-2/
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
Don't want to be a bore but I taught high school English and this is the definition of a poem: A literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm.

Poetry doesn't have to have rhyme but it has to have rhythm. Most of the great poets - Shakespeare, Tennyson, Milton, Shelley etc - all wrote unrhymed poetry as well as rhymed.

Tennyson's Ulysses is my favourite:

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/ulysses-2/
Being a total moron I still don't understand why it is classed as poetry, as against just telling a story about how you feel.. That guy at the inaugaration didn't seem to have any style or rhythm either, for me it was just a meaningless monotone diatribe...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Maybe just a personal thing - but for me poetry 'has' to rhyme. It is not 'easy' to write good - entertaining poetry.. Thats the magic of poetry - that it rhymes...Some songs are poetic, a fav, are these lines....
'I have often walked - down this street before...
But, the pavement always stayed beneath my feet, before...
All at once am I - several storeys high,
Knowing I'm - on the street - where you live....'
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

22-01-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Maybe just a personal thing - but for me poetry 'has' to rhyme. It is not 'easy' to write good - entertaining poetry.. Thats the magic of poetry - that it rhymes...Some songs are poetic, a fav, are these lines....
'I have often walked - down this street before...
But, the pavement always stayed beneath my feet, before...
All at once am I - several storeys high,
Knowing I'm - on the street - where you live....'
People stop and stare, they don't bother me
Cos there ain,t no better place that I'd rather be......
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-01-2013, 12:39 PM

A poem doesn't have to rhyme! A lot of my poetry is prose, although some of it is rhyming. It does get published from time to time too!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

22-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Of course it has to rhyme, otherwise how do we know that it's poetry? Is this post poetry because I've written about my feelings about poetry?...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Of course it has to rhyme, otherwise how do we know that it's poetry? Is this post poetry because I've written about my feelings about poetry?...
Oh dear!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top