Join for free
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Four Killed In Avalanche In Glencoe...

I've been following the story since it broke earlier today and prayed it would not be so but indeed four people have died from an avalanche in Glencoe.

The other two who were with them are still alive, but one is in a serious condition I've heard.

My prayers are with the families who will no doubt be suffering greatly tonight.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2013, 11:58 PM

Re: Four Killed In Avalanche In Glencoe...

This is one of the Subjects that gets me right up on my Hind Legs. While I also feel for their Families.....What on Earth were they doing Climbing Ruddy Mountains in this Weather in the First Place. Glencoe is Bad for Avalanches and it happens every Winter. I know The Coe very Well and it's not a place you take chances with especially up on Bidean Nam Bian.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 12:02 AM

Yes I share your feelings Roxy but what's done is done.

The least that can be hoped for is that the woman will pull through.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 02:38 AM

I hadn't heard about this, and I do feel for them, but I'm with Roxy here.

Why on earth would anyone want to go mountain climbing in such inclement conditions?

They not only put themselves at risk, but at the risk of their rescuers.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 03:14 AM

Cos people like them have it in their blood to climb usually.. its the ill equipped that nark me.
Rip climbers & my thoughts are with your families.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 09:21 AM

Climbers climb for the danger don't they? Same with the mountain rescue people, they are all adrenaline junkies and love what they do, but to survive they need an element of luck and sometimes unfortunately that luck goes against them.

Ultimately they all know the score...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Cos people like them have it in their blood to climb usually.. its the ill equipped that nark me.
Rip climbers & my thoughts are with your families.
Your certainly right there, I only walk through some of the lower ways these Days, but I always have on proper hiking boots, have a sweater tied around my waist (in warm weather) and a roll up Kagool in my Bag, also my Phone, water, and a Sandwich. My Daughter always knows what Track I'm doing. The Weather can change in Seconds up there and you don't always see it coming. I also take my Big Walking Staff for Balance and Boggy Ground ect.
The amount of People I meet who are in shorts, t-shirt, and silly shoes is crazy. Also not carrying anything with them either. I bet they've no Idea how to deal with the Fogs and Rain that hits either.
They make me Savage....

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Climbers climb for the danger don't they? Same with the mountain rescue people, they are all adrenaline junkies and love what they do, but to survive they need an element of luck and sometimes unfortunately that luck goes against them.

Ultimately they all know the score...
Couldn't agree more. Mountain rescue teams are all climbers themselves and understand very well the delicious balance between danger and adventure. The only people you will ever hear mountain rescue teams criticise are the inexperienced idiots who go out ill-equipped and ill-prepared - like the tourist I found once shivering, exhausted and close to collapse in jeans, T Shirt and cheap trainers halfway up Crib Goch on Snowdon one cold March morning. When asked why on earth he had tried such a climb so poorly equipped, all he could say was that "It was sunny when I left the car park!" This despite the fact that after the first half mile or so the mountain still had a covering of snow. Luckily I was leading a group at the time and had a rucksac full of spare jumpers, thermal tights and a spare pair of boots. After a cup of hot chocolate and a Mars bar, we helped him back down to his car - hopefully he had learned an important lesson.
My sympathies go out to the climbers who lost their lives this weekend and their families.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top