Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2013, 04:13 PM

The Vaillant is Valiant!

As you may have read in the good morning thread my boiler packed up some time in the wee small hours (when I went to bed it worked and when I awoke it didn't).

It didn't surprise me much as it was made in 1990 which far outlives the expectations of a Combination Boiler. Still, I was a bit upset about it nonetheless.

So the boiler mannie came round at 1PM this afternoon and got his tools out to strip the ol' girl (oh please).

After some investigation he told me it looks like the circulation pump isn't working either due to the bearing having seized up or just worn out plain and simple.

Luckily he has a lot of parts for old boilers so out came the old pump and in went a new one.

After checking the rest of the system over he put it all back together and tested the water and heaters. The boiler fired into life and heated up both - hallelujah!

He asked me if I wanted him to give it a service while he was there (it was due one in a month anyway) so I gave him the go ahead and upon doing that he discovered the fan was starting to go out (I had been suspecting that for a while with the sounds it had been making) so that got replaced too.

After that he just did a simple system flush and put some fluid in to protect against corrosion etc...

And the best bit? The bill was only £430 for replacing the pump, fan, doing a system flush & adding Sentinel inhibitor (the best apparently) and doing a full service with a sticker saying she's good to go until January 18th 2014.

He got his bacon butty and a few cups of tea thrown in for his good work.

I've now got the heaters in all rooms up to full blast (almost burnt my hand they are so hot now) and the hot tap goes to boiling temperatures after only seconds of running.

It may have cost a bomb over cheaper boilers when I bought it, but that Vaillant has paid off 110% even with today's repair.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2013, 04:16 PM

Re: The Vaillant is Valiant!

Pleased to hear your boiler is fixed, OB .....you were lucky to find someone at such short notice - now you can have that bath!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2013, 04:32 PM

I'd completely forgotten about that Mags, I think I'll leave it until tonight now!

My bar of Imperial Leather will wait for me, or should I say, wait in fear.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Are you lucky enough to have gas? We're not on the gas main, so it's oil for us. We have a Grant 'Vortex' outside boiler. It's pretty good, but because it sits outside, it needs frost protection. Sometimes on very cold nights, it comes on in the small hours and you wake to find the bedroom very warm.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

18-01-2013, 05:33 PM

Oh aye, we're not that remote!!

Both my parents grew up on a farm though so knew all about not being on the grid.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Some of my friends live in Bristol and they don't have gas either, in fact one hasn't got running water but that's a different story altogether.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

18-01-2013, 06:31 PM

I can only estimate it is down to a fault hezal?

A few years after we had our house built the water cut off one morning out of the blue. the neighbours water was fine so we got it checked out and turned out the pipe feeding our house was clogged up.

I did suggest to the wife I hooked a keg of beer up to the cold tap in the mean time - she refused.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I can only estimate it is down to a fault hezal?

A few years after we had our house built the water cut off one morning out of the blue. the neighbours water was fine so we got it checked out and turned out the pipe feeding our house was clogged up.

I did suggest to the wife I hooked a keg of beer up to the cold tap in the mean time - she refused.
No OB it's down to a BB (Barmy Bugger) who's boiler broke and it was reported, they said they'd have to order one, so in the meantime to use the water you have to switch it on and off at the mains (includng to flush the loo, then if you don't catch it before it fills the tank up it shoots out of the overflow in the bath, hence the wet cat who was using my bag which I'd put in the bath out of the way, as a bed) I kid you not this propery is like something out of a comedy farce. It is supposed to all being put right next week, I'll believe it when I see it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Glad you got the problem sorted so quickly Jim, our boiler service is due in a couple of weeks as well...why do they always want to do it in winter when we need it, rather than in summer when we don't? One of life's little mysteries I suppose...
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

18-01-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
No OB it's down to a BB (Barmy Bugger) who's boiler broke and it was reported, they said they'd have to order one, so in the meantime to use the water you have to switch it on and off at the mains (includng to flush the loo, then if you don't catch it before it fills the tank up it shoots out of the overflow in the bath, hence the wet cat who was using my bag which I'd put in the bath out of the way, as a bed) I kid you not this propery is like something out of a comedy farce. It is supposed to all being put right next week, I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm sorry but I burst out laughing at the "water shooting out of the overflow" part!

Who needs tawlty fowers!?

What? Oh, fawlty towers!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top