Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Humour is a personal thing

Humour is a personal thing.

I used to tell a joke about 2 hippopotamus wallowing in a muddy waterhole.
One turns to the other and say’s,

“Do you know, Marjorie, I keep thinking it’s Tuesday”.

Only one person has ever laughed, but it cracks me up every time I think of it.

I have found 20 different types of humour on the internet. Here are a few.
Anecdotal, dry, mordant, ironical, farcical, satirical, highbrow & self deprecating. ( I use this last one a lot)

Where do you fit in?
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

17-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Re: Humour is a personal thing

I must admit I don't get your joke?

Much of what is served up as comedy these days I don't find funny at all.

I spend a lot of time laughing at myself, and my crazy antics!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 02:16 PM

There is nothing to get Willow - it is just what it is, which is - in my opinion, very funny.

I haven't heard it in years though Robert, thanks for posting it! Gave me a good chuckle.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Thankyou chums for responding to my thread.

I'm glad you found it funny OB, .

Of course the point is, Willow that to a Hippopotamus, there is no concept of days of the week, let alone talking hippos
Having to explain that takes the surprise out of this improbable situation and the humour with it.

A good job we're all different innit.

Giving personality to animals is well demonstrated elsewhere in the story of the pet dog that was taught to read and speak
and which ultimately was the undoing of it's owner (posted by Wrinkly. Discussions .Horsemeat).

Humour is a serious business.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Robert - I guess I like silly humour and especially when one animal says to another, just the thought of this - creases me up !
I like most humour as long as its not crude - offensive....
Anyway - what do elephants have, that one one else has....
baby elephants !
Two muffins in an oven - one says to the other - 'Phew, its hot in here !' The other jumps in amazement...'Eek - a talking muffin !'......giggle....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Robert said
"Of course the point is, Willow that to a Hippopotamus, there is no concept of days of the week, let alone talking hippos"
--------

Ah but, ah but - hold on a minute Robert !!!!

Hippopotami may well talk to each other Robert - it is likely that we humans just don't understand their language, especially when they are under water. If this is so, then how do you know for sure that hippos - (oh alright then - maybe just some bright hippos) - don't know the days of the week? Their mother's could have taught them
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Robert said
"Of course the point is, Willow that to a Hippopotamus, there is no concept of days of the week, let alone talking hippos"
--------

Ah but, ah but - hold on a minute Robert !!!!

Hippopotami may well talk to each other Robert - it is likely that we humans just don't understand their language, especially when they are under water. If this is so, then how do you know for sure that hippos - (oh alright then - maybe just some bright hippos) - don't know the days of the week? Their mother's could have taught them
Good reasoning, Rena!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2013, 03:55 PM

You are all as daft as I am
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
You are all as daft as I am
Yes Robert but aren't we the happy people
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2013, 04:03 PM

An irrefutable fact and no amount of obfuscation can mar that happy state of affairs

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top