Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 11:23 AM

An alternative to birthday cards

As birthday cards have got ever more expensive, and the choice bland and crass, for those that don't want to waste their life doing a personal card on "moonpig" and the like here is great alternative.

Instead of sending a birthday card, why not buy the birthday person a magazine featuring their hobby or interest and just write on the front "Happy Birthday for XXXX" and hand deliver it.

This will not cost that much more and will last a lot longer and give more pleasure than a Birthday card ever will.

A card and 2nd class postage cost around £2.50 - £3.00 so a magazine is only 50P or so more.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Re: An alternative to birthday cards

Are you for real?

In the local town 5 miles away from my village there are two card shops (well, more than that but two that I use often) which stock quality cards at, granted, a higher price but there is plenty selection and I never come away empty handed no matter what occasion I want a card for.

I personally would be insulted to receive an Auto Car magazine through the door with a message saying "Happy Birthday Jim".
MrsD
midlands uk
MrsD is female  MrsD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
As birthday cards have got ever more expensive, and the choice bland and crass, for those that don't want to waste their life doing a personal card on "moonpig" and the like here is great alternative.

Instead of sending a birthday card, why not buy the birthday person a magazine featuring their hobby or interest and just write on the front "Happy Birthday for XXXX" and hand deliver it.

This will not cost that much more and will last a lot longer and give more pleasure than a Birthday card ever will.

A card and 2nd class postage cost around £2.50 - £3.00 so a magazine is only 50P or so more.

What a brilliant idea , one i will use for sure .
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Maybe buy a magazine as a gift but not instead of a card. That seems a bit mean.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 03:34 PM

Really good idea, I was going through a drawer the other day and it was full of birthday cards for us both, what to do with them? well I could take up a hobby making things out of old birthday cards and then I would be left wondering what to do with the things I had made.

Magazine idea smashing but magazines ain't that cheap. Course maybe I could make a whole lot of new birthday cards out of the old ones. Tis a puzzlement
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Are you for real?

In the local town 5 miles away from my village there are two card shops (well, more than that but two that I use often) which stock quality cards at, granted, a higher price but there is plenty selection and I never come away empty handed no matter what occasion I want a card for.

I personally would be insulted to receive an Auto Car magazine through the door with a message saying "Happy Birthday Jim".
I wouldn't worry Jim, I doubt you get that many Birthday Cards!

Still it has given you something else to have a go at me about You really have chosen an appropriate Username!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 03:44 PM

Still it has given you something else to have a go at me about You really have chosen an appropriate Username!
I was thinking the same thing myself.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 03:54 PM

I would prefer to receive and give birthday cards, much more personal I think. What sort of magazine can you buy for 50p??? Decent magazines can be anything from £2 - £4. If I want a magazine, I will buy it myself
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 04:52 PM

I'm sure my family and friends would prefer a card. Besides you can buy a card for a lots less than £4.00.
I don't send Christmas cards but give the money to charity, so they would all think I was being mean spirited if I didn't send a birthday card.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 05:03 PM

I take it I won't be receiving one from you this year then? That's a shame.

It's November 24th in case you change your mind.

TTFN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top