Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mike Vaughan
New Member!
Bristol UK
Mike Vaughan is male 

14-01-2013, 02:29 AM

Governments changes

What do you think of the latest Government changes in Cutting Benefits ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Re: Governments changes

I must admit I am in favour of the one taking single mothers off a pension when their youngest child turns 8 and putting them on the Newstart allowance (dole). Sure it is less money but they still get money for each child and it is to encourage them to get back to work.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 11:31 AM

I get really Hacked off at People who think living on Benefits is a Breeze......It sure as Hell is not. My Son has been out of Work for almost 18Months and simply can't cope. He doesn't own a Car, Doesn't Drink or Smoke and Nights out are a thing of the Distant Past. Now this Bedroom Tax is coming in soon and as his Wife walked out and left him in a 2 Bedroom Home he's to be hit with paying for that......another £13 a Week in Rent...or leave. He went to the Council and asked to be moved to a 1 Bedroom Home, Guess What........there are none. By the Time he's put money in his Gas and Electric Metres, bought Food, and paid his Monthly Water Rate Bill there's nothing left. I'm going to have to Pay that £13 a Week Rent for Him or he'll be Booted Out. His Mobile Phone is Lying in a Drawer as he can't afford to put money in it.
It's all very well to encourage People back to work.... If there was work for them. David lost his Job (along with the whole shift) as they were told there was not enough work for them. A Week later the Shift was Started up again, and the whole lot were Polish. the Company just wanted a lower Wage Bill. He spends Hours looking for Work but always the job goes to some School Leaver or a Polish Person both work a lot cheaper.
It's horrible for him and others in the same boat, he feels useless and dishartened and on the Scrap Heap at 39. And those Tory Lizards want to Kick him to the curb even more. I lothe the lot of them and I really hope they get a good dose of learning about real life and I hope it hurts to hell....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 12:00 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your son's situation Roxy. I think it must be difficult to sort out who is really in need of benefits and who isn't. I also think it can't be easy living on benefits and most people would rather work than be unemployed and dependent, although there are always the exception and people who seem to know just how to manipulate the system to their own advantage and they do appear to survive.

I am not sure what I think of the changes in the system, but something needs to be done because it costs so much and we can't afford it. I do think though that there needs to be worthwhile jobs for people to go to and that seems to be a real problem. Parts of the country are very short on jobs - have been for years - and there doesn't seem to be a good solution to make things any better. I know it's selfish, but I am glad to be out of it and in retirement. At least we know what we have coming in each month and it is stable income - enough to make ends meet.

I hope things take a turn for the better soon Roxy.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 12:09 PM

I know Aerolor, We were really lucky growing up when we did, I started work at 14 after school and on Saturdays, then went full time when I left school. There were People walking in and out of Jobs all the Time.
I wonder how we'd all cope today if we were just starting out in our Working Lives instead of finishing it....It sure as hell wouldn't be the Breeze it was.
There are several "i'm all right jack" people on here, who are down on unemployed and poorer people. I'd love to know how they'd manage fighting in the Jobs Market, losing out to Polish Workers simply because they work for less. Even starting up your own business is not as easy as it used to be......And Yes I do know what I'm talking about in this Case.

They'd find it a bit easier to foot the bill if they stopped giving themselves tax cuts, went after the tax evaders and stopped all the millionaires (themselves included) squirelling their money away in offshore accounts......in it together, my ass.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Sorry to hear of your son's predicament Roxy, but it might be worth considering who let 3 million Polish and other immigrants into the country to take all the jobs in the first place....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I know Aerolor, We were really lucky growing up when we did, I started work at 14 after school and on Saturdays, then went full time when I left school. There were People walking in and out of Jobs all the Time.
I wonder how we'd all cope today if we were just starting out in our Working Lives instead of finishing it....It sure as hell wouldn't be the Breeze it was.
There are several "i'm all right jack" people on here, who are down on unemployed and poorer people. I'd love to know how they'd manage fighting in the Jobs Market, losing out to Polish Workers simply because they work for less. Even starting up your own business is not as easy as it used to be......And Yes I do know what I'm talking about in this Case.

They'd find it a bit easier to foot the bill if they stopped giving themselves tax cuts, went after the tax evaders and stopped all the millionaires (themselves included) squirelling their money away in offshore accounts......in it together, my ass.
Good post Roxy and absolutley agree with you, life is so stressful these days, sincerely hope your son comes out well from this nightmare.....x
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

14-01-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Sorry to hear of your son's predicament Roxy, but it might be worth considering who let 3 million Polish and other immigrants into the country to take all the jobs in the first place....
Very True Plantman......Very True..
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Totally agree with you Roxy. So sorry to hear about your son. It is folk like your son who will suffer! Your son should appeal against the tax on empty bedrooms if he has children? My next door neighbour is appealing against it as he is in a two bedroom flat and he and his wife are divorced, staying in England with his 3 sons. He has made his case that he needs the extra bedroom when the boys come up to visit him. Don't know the outcome yet.

What gets me are the ones who live off social and claim for housing benefits, disability benefits etc and don't need to! Where I live here, I am surrounded by benefit families. Also, the government should stop the extra payments to alcoholics, they aren't doing them any favours at all by paying out about £200 extra because they have registered themselves as such! One man beside me - who stinks like the high heavens, lives in a 3 bedroom flat (same as mine) and he gets everything that's going as he is an alcoholic! He can afford to buy his bottle of vodka and cider every day - he uses a zimmer frame at that!! He will still get his rent & council tax paid for him! And, to add insult to injury, he gets his house cleaned up about every 3 months by social work department and new furniture as he needs new settees - he uses them as toilets! The DSS system is a farce!

We also have loads of Polish folk here - getting all the benefits and some are known thieves!! Two were caught robbing from patients in the RAH!!

I do hope, Roxy, that your son will find a job soon. Your son's ex company should have been reporte for doing that.

Good post, Rox

Take care
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I'd love to know how they'd manage fighting in the Jobs Market, losing out to Polish Workers simply because they work for less.
It's a hell of a situation, as you said yourself Roxy in the sixties and seventies (looking back now) we had it easy but my Dad was your sons age when the depression hit, he had no choice but to leave Cardiff (His home town) and work in Croydon, getting home only once a month. That's how he survived and sadly we are facing similar times now. These Polish workers must be buying food and clothing and paying rent so could your son say to an employer "Look I'm qualified and I'll work for 10% less than your paying this guy whose doing the job now" probably wouldn't work but again as you've said it's the cost of labour that rules company accounts these days.

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The two of them couldn't see beyond their noses The same two also said that Lloyds Bank wouldn't need to worry about the Competition Authority but completely ignored the other (Bigger and more powerful) Competition Authority in Brussels who immediately did what those two muppets said would not happen

Oh and by the way when the Brussel Sprouts passed the Shengin Agreement they gave all the criminal gangs in Europe a bonus, now all you have to do is cross the border steal whatever you can in a night and whizz back to your home country and the Police can do NOTHING

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top