Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 11:18 PM

Audience participation..

I hate watching shows where I can't hear what's going on because of all the cheering, whooping and clapping of the audience. I get the feeling that they only want to be there - not to watch the show.

This reminds me of an incident some 40 odd years ago. I was an engineering student at Queens University Belfast and at the weekends, I used to work in a music shop repairing amplifiers, speakers, organs etc..

One day, the manager - Billy - asked me to go with him to a 'Loyalist' club in a dodgy part of the city. We drove there and when we stopped, Billy found a scruffy urchin, gave him some money and told him to look after the car.

Inside was a very busy social club with a decent band playing on stage. Billy pointed out repairs to the ceiling and explained how they got there. Apparently one night, the crowd was a bit rowdy and the MC couldn't calm them down. Eventually, he said "I'd like you to meet a friend of mine" - Lots of cheers etc.....

At this point, a masked man walked on stage with a sub-machine gun and proceeded to fire it into the ceiling above the audience. They dived for cover and the room went quiet. The MC said "Let's keep it like that" and the gunman walked back off stage!

I don't suggest that we employ those tactics, but sometimes I'd like to spray the audience with treacle (or something smellier) to shut them up!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

13-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Re: Audience participation..

I thought the whole point was audience participation!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 10:44 AM

Well my point is that for many shows / concerts etc... it seems that the object is simply to be there, not necessarily to enjoy the proceedings..

We once went to 'Proms in the park' in London - hoping to enjoy the 'warm up' acts before the traditional 'Last night' concert. No chance - it was just a huge sea of noise from people with no interest in the performers. I've experienced similar things at other open air events.

As for clapping & cheering on TV shows ... you could have the world's greatest performers on stage, but all you hear is clap clap clap, whoopee etc.. That strikes me as being disrespectful to the artists... Applause should be used to show appreciation, not drown out a performance.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 10:54 AM

I am with GW 100%
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 11:09 AM

So am I! It is annoying when the audience is louder than the show! Must be off-putting for the stars as well.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

13-01-2013, 12:28 PM

I hope the evil person who let off a gun in a theatre was arrested and imprisoned!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 12:31 PM

The thing I hate is canned laughter,its dreadful.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 02:05 PM

I have heard similar stories about a masked man and think they are not an urban myth, more likely apocryphal.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
So am I! It is annoying when the audience is louder than the show! Must be off-putting for the stars as well.
Didn't any of you ever go to a one night stand at your local theatre in the 60's? They could have been reciting the lord's prayer for all you could hear over the girls screaming.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 02:03 PM

I'm afraid I can't watch anything with a live audience, the ridiculous false hysteria of the audience drives me to distraction....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top