Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

12-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Have you updated your driving licence photo?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

Driving licence fines threaten two million drivers
Updating the licence is a vital legal requirement, says Victoria Ford of DVLA Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
DVLA bans councils from database
Speeding point dodge jail warning
Driving licence security concern
Many drivers face a fine of £1,000 if they fail to update their photo-card driving licences, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

It started issuing photo-card licences 15 years ago and more than 30 million drivers now have one.

These are usually valid for 10 years and there is a legal requirement for drivers to renew the photograph at the same time as they renew their licence.

However, two million drivers have failed to do this.

And this means they could be fined up to £1,000 should they be pulled over by the police, who then discover that the photo and licence is out of date.

Even failing to notify the DVLA that you have changed address could be costly.

Checking your licence

Photo-card driving licences are set to become mandatory in 2015, when paper licences are officially phased out.

I only got a photo card last year so I am ok until 2021, if I am still driving by then.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Re: Have you updated your driving licence photo?

We are still using the old paper licences, but Mrs P is 70 this year so will have to apply for a new one anyway, and looks like I'll be getting mine in 2015 then...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 12:07 PM

My licence is also a paper one and was issued in 1978 - valid until November 2016. It is now so fragile that I have to keep it separate from other stuff in my handbag. It was one of my new year resolutions to get a photograph one done, but haven't got a roundtuit yet.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 12:14 PM

I've still got a paper one................but I've got a
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 12:29 PM

And a avery nice round tuit Wayleron, a bit plain, but quite a nice colour
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 05:08 PM

I've got a photocard licence which expires this year so I will have to get a new photo. They are better than the paper ones though as they are another form of ID if you don't have your passport handy. I'm not surprised they want everyone to have this type of licence. I think its a good idea.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 05:33 PM

Still using a paper licence..so I'll have to get one in 2015 too
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 03:53 AM

I've never been informed that I need a new driver's licence and still have the old green one, encased in plastic from 1979, so is in excellent condition, so why do I have to change mine?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Somewhere I still have my UK licence issued god knows when and expiring some time in the future. I just renewed my NSW Licence for 5 years it has been like a credit card for a very long time and has a photo taken by the RTA (Road and Traffic Authority) when you renew it. Cost for Pensioners? Whooppee it's free!

It is the main form of ID here, people you do not have a licence can get a Photo ID card from the RTA

Because they are the main form of ID those pictures are very simplified versions of the real thing.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I've never been informed that I need a new driver's licence and still have the old green one, encased in plastic from 1979, so is in excellent condition, so why do I have to change mine?
They want everyone to have a licence with a photo on it Mollie for ID. Its the first thing you have to produce in a driving incident and they want to establish who you are. I think its a good thing to make people replace their old ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top