Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Living in Interesting Times

Just received a text on my phone from the state government warning me that there is a catastrophic fire danger tomorrow for the Illawarra, Shoalhaven and Southern Ranges and to take the necessary precautions.

Tomorrow will be 43'C (110'F) with strong westerly winds (and the reason for the heat), the ground is as dry as because it last rained before Christmas.

Ironically I am in Canberra today and here the temp will only be 36'C but am driving back to the coast tomorrow I just hope there are no fires on the way. Should be an interesting day.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Re: Living in Interesting Times

Take care Bruce - our floods are less dangerous than your fires.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Oh I don't know how anyone can live in that heat! It is 9 degrees here and I find that hot enough

Hope you all stay safe though and no fires around. Seen reports of the bush fires and all that some places get and it must be awful living in an area like that.

Stay safe.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 03:18 PM

It sounds bad in Australia at the moment with those fires. We have seen a lot on the news here. Stay safe Bruce.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 03:37 PM

That's worrying, Bruce..... take care and stay safe.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Interesting times BRUCE, thats a very pragmatic approach to the warnings.

Take care.

I followed your link and was struck by this notice,

Planning to make a plan is not a plan
If you live, work or travel in bush fire areas, you need a Bush Fire Survival Plan. Don't put it off.

Thats good advice in any situation
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 07:27 PM

I like it warm but 40 plus degrees is way out of my league, and I feel for you and also the residents of Tasmania who are having a torrid time at the moment....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 10:21 PM

43'C is unusually high, about 7 years ago I cycled the 14 km home from work in 44' heat, it was OK until I ran out of water with about 2km to go. It happens occasionally but remember this is dry heat, the humidity is very low - part of the reason for the fire danger - you would be surprised what a difference that makes. You must keep hydrated though because sweat evaporates immediately and completely.

I have suffered much more in far lower temperatures purely because of the high humidity, UK summers are a bit like that I seem to remember. Thankfully I will be in the air conditioned comfort of my car my only worry is the road being closed.

You are right, the Tasmanian fires are terrible and the worse ones could not be in a worse spot burning at the two narrowest parts of the peninsula (I was there almost exactly a year ago) completely blocking access or escape. The only road will be closed for days and power could take weeks to be restored because of the number of poles destroyed even if the fire is put out tomorrow.

The newspapers are full of doom and gloom; we shall see
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 11:04 PM

It was 41.8 here in Hobart on Friday - the hottest for 37 years. Today it's 18 which will make it easier for firefighters. A crew from Victoria has arrived to help.

The fires are not near us but yesterday both our cars were covered with a fine layer of ash. Never seen anything like that here before. They still haven't accounted for everyone but so far no one hurt or killed but a LOT of damage. 600 power poles to replace. !00 houses, a school and shops to rebuild, livestock to replace. And we're a very poor state so lots of help will be needed.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top