Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 01:13 PM

The farming year

Yesterday evening I saw a lot of mysterious lights in the surrounding fields. Not UFO's, but farmers taking advantage of the current dry weather to lift crops.

I took this photo this morning from my back garden. A lot of fields have already been ploughed and I expect that planting will soon follow.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 01:27 PM

Re: The farming year

It looks like you live in a nice spot GW. Does that wind turbine cause you any problems ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Everything looks neat and tidy in the fields and awaiting the new season...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Alan, wind turbines are a contentious issue here. They are springing up everywhere. Strangely, they are not noisy when you're near them, but a few hundred yards away, you get a 'whoosh' sound every time a blade passes.

None of them are near enough to cause a problem to us.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 04:59 PM

My Laird's got his Plowing done too. He's Hoping the Weather's Drier this Year, we had an awful lot of Waterlogged Fields the past Year, and a very very late Harvest when they had to almost work round the Clock to get it lifted, once it was finally dry enough. We had to buy in Winter Feed last Autumn too, and that's not happened for a long long time.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

06-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Roxy, I haven't seen them working late at this time of year before. We haven't had much rain, but what there was came at a bad time. It's been quite dry recently and the farmers are taking full advantage of it.

There are a couple of Texel rams in the paddock opposite us. By the blue 'Raddle' colouring on them, they've been busy working recently too!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Roxy, I haven't seen them working late at this time of year before. We haven't had much rain, but what there was came at a bad time. It's been quite dry recently and the farmers are taking full advantage of it.

There are a couple of Texel rams in the paddock opposite us. By the blue 'Raddle' colouring on them, they've been busy working recently too!
No No, you've picked me up wrong...They were working late while trying to Harvest last Year. It's not bad the now at all.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top