Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 01:14 AM

Vietnam

I've got a trip to Vietnam booked for 28 February and have been spending the last couple of days looking at places to stay and things to do. Looking forward to it! Anyone been?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Re: Vietnam

No, but hope you have a great time. Just watch your money as there are a lot of poor people still living there.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Friends of ours went a couple of years ago, they had a great time but did manage to have a few things go missing during their trip.......fortunately not their passports.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I've got a trip to Vietnam booked for 28 February and have been spending the last couple of days looking at places to stay and things to do. Looking forward to it! Anyone been?
Yes, I've been but only to the north of the country - Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Tam Coc etc. Wonderful place, wonderful people, make sure you have plenty of small change, they don't like giving change and expect tips everywhere. US dollars are king most prices are in US dollars as well as Dong but again if you have US dollars makes sure you have small ones ie $1 notes only

The roads are appalling and if you rent a car be careful, there probably are rules but I couldn't work out what they were. Yet in among all this chaos you will see a school girl cycling serenely 2 metres out from the kerb apparently unaware of the madness around her. Has to be seen to be believed. No motorways just narrow roads (bit like England actually ) and the bigger you are the more right of way you have, ie trucks and buses just sound their horn and proceed.

If you order a beer stress that you want it cold, very cold otherwise it might be warm. The food is brilliant - ate from stalls, boats, anywhere with no problems (but I seem to be able to do that anywhere in Asia).

You will have a wonderful time. I went with a friend - in Ha Long Bay we had a massive boat to ourself - the caves were good, not much OH&S so be careful. Hanoi we had personal tours with English speaking guide and a driver that we booked in Malaysia - dirt cheap.

The North Vietnamese mainly cater for the Chinese who come by bus from the north and are really only just coming to grips with Europeans if you speak Mandarin you will be well catered for (my friend speaks it ) but there are English speaking guides and they do their best. I suspect that the south is a bit different in that regard.

My daughter went back packing there and had a similarly good experience though she said the trains were a bit scary the way they rocked but you got used to it.

Vietnam is cheap and fun, try all the types of food - go to the silk factories they are using machines straight out of 19th Century Britain. go into the tunnels the Viet Cong used during the American War. What ever you can afford go and see it, look out for the 'factories' which employ disabled people. They have a lot as a result of the war and the use of Agent Orange. These factories make everything from small souvenirs to 5 metre statues of Buddha or the Goddess of Mercy which they will ship to your home (at a very reasonable cost)
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 04:52 AM

I hope you have a nice time, but for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit a 3rd world country splashing lots of cash in such a place where poverty is rife. It's like rubbing their noses in it.

The money you will spend on that holiday would probably keep a family in food, clothing and accommodation for a year or more and I'm sorry, but I find that just a little bit obscene, but that's just me.

Yes, you probably will have a wonderful time, but think on their standard of living whilst you're there. Personally, I couldn't for shame.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I hope you have a nice time, but for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit a 3rd world country splashing lots of cash in such a place where poverty is rife. It's like rubbing their noses in it.

The money you will spend on that holiday would probably keep a family in food, clothing and accommodation for a year or more and I'm sorry, but I find that just a little bit obscene, but that's just me.

Yes, you probably will have a wonderful time, but think on their standard of living whilst you're there. Personally, I couldn't for shame.
I understand what you are saying, but I have worked as a volunteer in three third world countries so am well aware of the poverty that exists.
According to your beliefs, we should not visit Africa, South America, much of Asia, and even some of Europe to experience their cultures. But tourism in these countries is also a vital source of income, and I am comfortable to be contributing to their economies by travelling there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 11:39 PM

According to your beliefs, we should not visit Africa, South America, much of Asia, and even some of Europe to experience their cultures. But tourism in these countries is also a vital source of income, and I am comfortable to be contributing to their economies by travelling there.
I agree with you; it is the stupidest argument I have come across, even the briefest of research would have shown that Vietnam has less poverty than China, India or the Philippines and their economy is expanding rapidly and poverty even further reduced.

I read somewhere that by 2025 (from memory) Vietnam is predicted to be about 17th on the league table of industrial nations. In the meantime they are encouraging their tourist industry to help grow their economy. More strength to them.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 12:00 AM

I understand what you are saying, but I have worked as a volunteer in three third world countries so am well aware of the poverty that exists.
You are right.
It is only tourism that has allowed countries like Spain, Turkey and Greece to develop. And our own country benefits from it too.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 02:12 AM

Agreed - If it wasn't for tourism many countries would be even worse off, including Britain which is forecast to make £188 BILLION from tourism in the next decade.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

27-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Heading off tomorrow, and looking forward to it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top