Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Pubs in trouble.

I was on about this subject two years ago and I'm sad to say I was right, this is now the beginning of the end for the Irish pub in my opinion. The real cause of this is not the price of drink, it was always high over here, but the smoking ban, of course they will never admit that but ask any old pub regular and they'll tell you the truth, all the ban has achieved so far is put people out of once steady lifetime jobs. Don't forget our small population (4.5 million) when looking at the figures quoted.

ONE in five country pubs is at crisis point after one of the worst years for the industry on record.
A total of 800 businesses and 4,800 jobs are claimed to be at risk after an estimated 34 per cent drop in sales over the last five years.

Vintners Federation of Ireland chief Gerry Rafter said in a statement: “The future is bleak and the majority of our membership is very downbeat to put it mildly.

“The year just gone saw our Government put further pressure on an industry already on its knees with a massive increase in excise.

“It saw some major suppliers increasing prices in an untimely and unwelcome manner and we saw no leadership from local government with regard to local charges and rates.

“To be clear our members support over 54,000 jobs in Ireland. These are local families depending on local employment in local areas.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

31-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Re: Pubs in trouble.

The only time we would ever frequent a pub is if we wished to have a meal there. We have never gone into one merely for a drink.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Hi Jem,
Landlords have been making the same point over here, the last I heard 8 pubs were closing each week, the others are hanging on ! Its not looking good for them - thats for sure....
Pats
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Hello Pats, as you probably know the pubs here play a big part of Irish society and have done for centuries, they are meeting places for neighbours, workmates, friends, lovers, musicians and singers etc., places to go after a Funeral, or a Christening, even after a bad Wedding reception one can always sneak out to the better atmosphere of your local.
I go to Kerry on holidays every year with the wife and I know of one or two pubs (not tellin') where they let you smoke your brains out if you want to, they get the custom, it's the only way they survive and I don't blame them, would you blame a drowning man for hanging on to a log?.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Hello Pats, as you probably know the pubs here play a big part of Irish society and have done for centuries, they are meeting places for neighbours, workmates, friends, lovers, musicians and singers etc., places to go after a Funeral, or a Christening, even after a bad Wedding reception one can always sneak out to the better atmosphere of your local.
I go to Kerry on holidays every year with the wife and I know of one or two pubs (not tellin') where they let you smoke your brains out if you want to, they get the custom, it's the only way they survive and I don't blame them, would you blame a drowning man for hanging on to a log?.
Hello there Jem,
My heart sings when you speak of Ireland - years since I have been, too late now - unable to travel....you 'cannot' beat an Irish pub, no comparison anywhere I bet, magical..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 03:33 PM

I keep doing my bit to keep the English pubs going. We visit one at least once a week sometimes twice - but for a meal........ plus a pint of course !
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 04:27 PM

We meet up with another 2 Couples most Saturday Nights in the Village Local, it's a grand Wee Place and it's usually very busy. I don't drink but enjoy the Chat and the Company, it also means so we can take the Car, otherwise it's a 3 Mile Hoof Home....not nice on a Cold Winter's Night. I'd hate to see it close as it's used for Meetings, and Get-Togethers ect for the Village and surrounding Area as well as the only Watering Hole for several Miles in any Direction. It also does Grand Bar Lunches and Evening Meals.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I was on about this subject two years ago and I'm sad to say I was right, this is now the beginning of the end for the Irish pub in my opinion.
I do remember you starting a thread about this Jem.

Sadly, it's not only in Eire, as mentioned above there are a lot of pubs closing down for good in UK too.

There are in fact several reasons for this, you mention the smoking ban, but there are other factors too.

The younger generation (Let's say under thirties) seem to have a different view on 'going to the pub' allegedly what they do now is buy cheap booze at a supermarket, drink loads of it at home, and then go out, not just to one pub but to a series of places getting steadlily more paralytic and of course eventually passing out on the street or getting into fights, this seems to be the 'modern way'

The only successful establishment nowadays seems to be the restaurant with bar attached and then only for families.

We live in a changing world, because of my job and moving around I've never really had a 'local' but I can appreciate how much it means to people like yourself and wish that I could change things, or at least suggest ways you can 'save your local' but sadly I can't
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 05:58 PM

So true Harvey.

I frequent the wee pub in the next village a mile down the road and it has two sections in it - one for the people who get so drunk they can't stand and one with a coal fire, tables for people to have a meal and a quiet bar where I sit with my Whiskey on a cauld winters nicht.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

31-12-2012, 06:00 PM

Losos, you are partly right, but on the 'Traditional' pub side of things, where a pint and ciggie was the norm for an older generation - the problem lies. Everything today is geared for the younger generation those 16 plus that is, for those younger - very little, for those older - very little.....
Pats

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top