Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Any twitchers out there?

Last week I was looking out of the window and there in a tree were approximately 20/30 black/grey birds with crests on their heads, the like of which I had never seen before. Fortunately our eldest girl was able to confirm I was actually seeing what I was seeing. We looked on-line, and in our bird book, and the only bird which matched the description of the birds we saw was the crested lark. However, they are very rare, usually inhabit the ground and unlikely to be seen in a village setting, very strange. Has anyone got another explanation?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 03:34 PM

Re: Any twitchers out there?

I am no expert, but WAXWINGS fit your deescription. THey are quite exotic looking and the CREST is an important feature.

"The waxwing is a plump bird, which is slightly smaller than a starling. It has a prominent crest. It is reddish-brown with a black throat, a small black mask round its eye, yellow and white in the wings and a yellow-tipped tail. It does not breed in the UK, but is a winter visitor, in some years in larger numbers, called irruptions, when the population on its breeding grounds gets too big for the food available."
"
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 03:51 PM

No they definitely weren't waxwings, they are far too pretty for the birds which we saw.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 04:02 PM

OK,
I said I wasnt an expert.

How about a crested tit or a goldcrest, firecrest?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 04:22 PM

I'm afraid I'm unable to suggest any names, Willow but your description of them sounds lovely.

Maybe someone in your village would have an idea what they were?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Sounds like a crested tit but as we don't know whereabouts you are, it makes it difficult.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-12-2012, 04:50 PM

They were too big for crested tits.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Sorry I can't help you Willow, I'm a complete townie and wouldn't have a clue.
I thought at first glance you were on about human twitchers of which I do have considerable knowledge, my wife is one in bed, she twitches her feet all night long and I've had to put up with it for 47 years now, but it's not that kind of twitcher you're trying to identify.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
They were too big for crested tits.
Jem for goodness sake keep quiet!!! Mrs Jem will kill you.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 10:55 AM

Hi, have you had a look at the Bohemian Waxwing. They flock and come to GB and Ireland in Winter. They love berries and especially Rowan Tree berries. If you see them again, why not take a photo so we can have a look at them. The only other bird similar to what you are saying are called Tufted Titmouse but they are USA birds unless a flock has been blown off course with the Westerly winds we have been having. Both these species of birds flock in Winter looking for food. Hope you find it soon, there will be lots of birds you only see in Winter around but just depends where you are in the Country. I think we are presuming you live in England??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top