Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 08:10 PM

New style computers...

I was thinking of getting a new computer, but having seen whats on offer - I wont bother yet. The reviews on windows 8 have not been favourable and why change the keyboard layout with those numbers to one side...
From the reviews people do not use them. Why with all new ideas - can't they give us an option on style. Everything seems to be the same - 'duvets' for instance, the 'same' pattern is in all the shops, the 'same' shades of colour...'Duck Egg' ....vibrant 'Red'....whats happened to 'choice' these days....
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 09:41 PM

Re: New style computers...

I have had to buy a new PC, and I have chosen a laptop .
I agree that 8 is hard to get into, but perseverance should win through.

I am looking at the library to see if they do a tutorial, for us wrinkles.

Arfa
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 09:41 PM

I'm a complete computer DUMMY & work on a need to know basis. My brain is saturated with facts about life, the universe & everything

Dont fret over what is the NEXT BIG THING, it'll just turn up while you're looking the other way, leave the pioneer work to the GEEKS. THey will absorb it easily & explain it to us when we need it.

I never cracked the VIDEO CHANGER & am a lost cause regarding TEXTING

Finally shades of colour.. My father & grandfather were painters & decorators, a skill never passed on to me despite having been employed for20years by a DIY firm.
Gramps only ever referred to ducks as a type of finish, that is to say a semi matt/semi gloss finish. viz DUCK EGG

I tend to think of duvets having a limited capacity for shape, but what do I know, I'm a blokey.

FInally, finally.... you're spot on in deriding choice of colour, they remain the same but the names become more grating. i.e.
yellow becomes canary, brown becomes earthmother. white becomes chaste.
I'm making up the names but you get my drift.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Welcome to the forum Pats. I also am not much good with computers and work on a "need to know" basis as well. I seem to find that there is too much choice around these days and I have become indecisive when buying things. For example, I need a new washing machine (old one was about 18 years old) and can I make my mind up? No!! With just this one thing like a washer there are so many choices and I've probably looked at about all the washers available and I'm still not sure if I have chosen the right one for me. I wish there wasn't as much choice with just about everything we buy - from bread to cars - there is just too much to choose from. - I think I must be easy to confuse.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 10:31 PM

I know reviews do have an effect on opinions but I usually take them with a pinch of salt. They sometimes don't reflect what is found when you actually install and use the software. I found that very much the case with XP when it first came out. Professional reviews and user opinions were often scathing of the OS. When I tried it for myself, I wondered if they were actually talking about the same OS I was using because I thought it was alright.

Microsoft has dared to be 'not the same' with Windows 8. Some like it and some don't but if change is what you are after, The Windows 8 user interface is very different to any previous Microsoft offering. I've been using it since the release date and think it is good. A bit of a learning curve is necessary though.

Not sure about different keyboards. The one use does have numbers at the side but functions well with Windows 8 ..as does the mouse. It lights up so that it can be used in the dark or in low light conditions.

I can't say about duvets because we don't use one. We have a blanket topped by a quilt that was hand-made by my better half. I suppose that does mean that the colours could be chosen though ..even if not by me.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 03:09 AM

Windows 8 is okay once you get used to it. I've been on Windows 8 at work for about 12 months now and I hated it at the beginning.

I only got Windows 8 at home when my computer crashed last year but, by then, I was used to using it at work. I'm still on XP by the way.

Incidentally, my computer crashed because I stupidly installed Microsoft Windows Essentials thinking that Microsoft knew what they were talking about!

I guess change is inevitable with computers and we have to just go with the flow, but we don't have to like it. We just have to get used to it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I guess change is inevitable with computers and we have to just go with the flow, but we don't have to like it. We just have to get used to it.
Yes, that's true, although there are the alternatives of Mac and various Linux-based operating systems.

I haven't used a Mac to any great degree but they just seem too expensive when compared to a Microsoft Windows PC. I've tried Linux a number of times over the years but can't get on with it too well. Also, all the programs and games I have are for the PC.

I think I'll always be a Microsoft Windows user. The programs I want to use on it run well. I suppose that's a lot the main purpose of any OS or computer. The rest, such as usage and operating system, is secondary in a way.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 11:38 AM

I was surprised that you said you dont like the numbers at the side of the keyboard Pats.
I have had a keyboard like that for years as I used to be in telemarketing and it was so much easier to put your telephone numbers on the PC with the side numbers instead of going up and down the 1 - 0 at the top of the keyboard.
I have become quite an expert on the PC now as I feel the first thing you have to learn is not to be frightened of the technology and ask questions. There are so many sites now you can ask what to do and what do you think has happened and it is a very knowledgable World nowadays.
My washing machine is always a Zanussi. I did start off with Hotpoints originally but find the Zannusi much more reliable. Duvets covers you need to shop around. I got some lovely ones from Sainsburys sale last Winter and before that at Tescos. So there are some nice Duvets around.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Thanks 'everyone' for your response. I have a laptop computer and I'm hanging on - hoping they will revert back to this style, then I will change. My point was that we should have the option why do they 'all' have to have the numbers down one side... I mentioned 'duvets' as an example of companies following suit, if a particular colour and design is vogue, its difficult to find anything else. 'Zanusi' very good brand and there does appear to be a 'wide choice' of washing machines !
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 12:02 PM

I`m on windows 8 and getting on ok with it .I thought it only came out in September this year but Mollie says she has been using it for over a year .I`m not computer savvy but may be wrong .Anyway it`s working for me I prefer it to my old Vista .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top