Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Things you swore you would never do in old age

What were the things you saw old people doing when you were young(er) that you swore you'd never do when you got older?

Mine was being one of those old men you see going into the newsagents and buying the exact same thing every morning.

I swore I'd never do that but every morning for the last goodness knows how many years I've been going down to the newsagents at 10AM and getting The Independent, The Times, The Financial times and two packs of Marlboro Reds 20 Kingsize.

It has got to the stage now where the lady who works there gets the cigarettes and papers ready as I walk in the door

So, what do you now do that you swore you wouldn't?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Re: Things you swore you would never do in old age

Things a lot of old people did when I was young used to annoy me, like repeating oneself, always talking about how they couldn't do this that and the other when they were young, saying our music was crap, how the young had too much money to spend on foolish things etc., now I'm doing all that and don't realise it.
On the other hand my grandfather was a very strict and grumpy man, he never had any time for children, I swore I'd never be like that and thank God I'm not, I love children.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Saying things that my Mum used to say to me.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Grunt when I'm getting up from the chair.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:38 PM

I swore I'd never need dentures and avoided cakes, sweets, chocolates, biscuits etc all my adult life in order that I wouldn't loose any teeth, which all came to nothing in the end.

Like OB though, I have become a creature of habit, and I'm pretty much the same when I go to the shop and they know what I want without needing to ask.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:56 PM

Just thought I'd add, I think I'm starting to do something I REALLY did not want to ever do, but it happened the other day.

I was talking to a man in his 20s outside the pub whilst having a smoke and he mentioned how there is nothing to see on TV these days.

What was my reply? I am ashamed to even type it...

"Well son, in my day we only had 3 channels, so count yourself lucky".

I know, I'm cringing just thinking back to it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Just thought I'd add, I think I'm starting to do something I REALLY did not want to ever do, but it happened the other day.

I was talking to a man in his 20s outside the pub whilst having a smoke and he mentioned how there is nothing to see on TV these days.

What was my reply? I am ashamed to even type it...

"Well son, in my day we only had 3 channels, so count yourself lucky".

I know, I'm cringing just thinking back to it.
it comes to us all, OB!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2012, 03:45 AM

thats right they do not no how lucky they are today
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Get as old as them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Saying things that my Mum used to say to me.
Yep, same here except it was my old man that I find myself repeating. So annoying, fortunately it doesn't happen too often and as long as I never hear myself say, "You can fool everyone but you can't fool yourself".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top