Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Christmas boxes

We give our window cleaner and our postie a Christmas box.
Do you give Christmas boxes? And if so, who to?
The days were, when we had a milkman, breadman and a paper boy.. and come to think of it, the dustman used to get one too, not any more tho'
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Re: Christmas boxes

The only person I give a Christmas box to these days is my hairdresser ..... I also tip her throughout the year.
I am also given a free diary every year from the Salon.

My window cleaner comes every 2 months, maybe if he was more frequent I would consider a tip.

The Postie .... well we seem to get 2 or 3 different ones a week these days. Also, they are taking strike action here in the lead up to Christmas ..... typical of them to hit the public! So.... no tip for them.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 10:42 AM

I gave my dustbin cleaner man a tip of £5 yesterday and will get some cans for the dustbin man. We had a permanent postie and he lives 6 doors away so always gave him something too. Unfortunately he is now unwell and doesnt work so like Mags we have had quite a few different ones since ours retired.
So that will be it as I dont have a window cleaner. I think it gets worse as you become older trying to keep the old rituals going. The young uns nowadays dont seem to bother do they? I think when our generation has gone its going to be alot different from it is now. Thats my opinion anyway
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 11:20 AM

One of the advantages of having a proper legislated industrial relations system is that everybody gets a living wage.

The first day I arrived in Australia in 1966 I took a taxi from the airport and at the end of the journey offered the driver a tip, he said, "We don't tip in this country mate." I knew I was going to like it here.

Australians don't tip (get's 'em into all sorts of problems overseas though).
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Sandy - daft question I know - but I've never heard of a dustbin cleaner man...does he put it in a machine or something?
We don't have dustbins, just black bags for general rubbish, which we have to buy and orange bags for recycling..card, paper, plastic, which we get free.
We have a green bin for garden waste, which we pay a yearly fee for.
I quite like the Aussie idea of not tipping Bruce and I think you are right Sandy..youngsters don't tip, it will die out when we do.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Sandy - daft question I know - but I've never heard of a dustbin cleaner man...does he put it in a machine or something?
We don't have dustbins, just black bags for general rubbish, which we have to buy and orange bags for recycling..card, paper, plastic, which we get free.
We have a green bin for garden waste, which we pay a yearly fee for.
I quite like the Aussie idea of not tipping Bruce and I think you are right Sandy..youngsters don't tip, it will die out when we do.

pay for a bin bugger that for a tale, we have 4 wheelie bins blue for paper and card,brown for glass and plastic, black for general and the best of the lot black with a cerise lid for garden and food, no food goes in mine though I have a garbage disposal unit I call it Bailey. We have a man comes round with a power washer that cleans them we pay for that but we don't pay anything for bins, it's in with coucil tax. If anyone else pays can they whisper please. cos if Salford find out they'll copy, thank you.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 01:32 PM

We give the postman a tip every year, we used to give the council binmen a tip too but two years ago they were all let go and a new private company of 'Everything by the book' fellas took over, nobody likes them so they get bugger all from anybody, the old fellas were very helpful, we all loved them and showed it at Christmas time.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 02:24 PM

no tips we have no milk man
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 03:22 PM

I give my dog walker a tip at Christmas no-one else apart from the 2 charities I support which are The Dogs Trust and Battersea Dogs and Cats Home. They get an extra subscription.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 04:37 PM

I tip my milkman most [who comes without fail hail ,rain or shine]the window cleaner,and the hairdressers .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top