Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Palindromes

Palindromes

Able was I ere I saw Elba is probably the most well known example of a Palindrome. Supposedly uttered by Napoleon Bonaparte when exiled on the Islet of Elba it is thought to be a classic example of that particular figure of speech.
I vaguely remember at school spending interminable long afternoons dissecting sentences into their component parts during what was called English analysis. I didn't get it and forty odd years later someone at creative writing group unkindly referred to one of my scribbles as being not a complete sentence. Any irritation I may have felt was forgotten when the same person stumbled trying to read out Sit on a potato pan Otis.
Lisa Bonet ate no Basil, might have been wiser to read out, or even A man, a plan, a canal ,Panama.
Madam I'm Adam, strikes me as possibly the earliest example. Uttered by forebears of Darby and Joan, and rather like Adam, Darby didn't actually like apples. The first man, a more alert Adam might have distracted Eve with a sharp Was it a rat I saw?. Centuries later Napoleon followed Not tonight Josephine with the immortal words.
Able was I ere I saw Elba.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Re: Palindromes

My wife, nurse Gillian just informed that she has no idea what a PALINDROME is.
It is, of course, a word or phrase which is spelt exactly the same backwords as it is forward.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2012, 08:14 PM

I'm afraid I'm like like your wife Robert, I didn't know either til you told me, they never taught us about them things in the red brick college I went to, one was lucky to come out alive, never mind being educated. Now if you had said Paladin with Richard Boone I would have known instantly, His motto was "Have Gun will Travel", sort of like Napoleon when you think of it.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 01:52 AM

Bobbyboy I knew what a palindrome was just couldn't think of an example.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 06:56 AM

The palindrome of Bolton is Notlob not Ipswich.

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

17-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks Bruce, I had quite forgotten just how good the Monty Python team were, & I completely forgot the reference to PALINDROMEs
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 10:42 AM

The only one I know......never odd or even..
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Couldnt have told you any either. I do remember Richard Boone as
a cowboy and Have Gun Will Travel. Always loved my cowboy programmes.
My ambition in childhood was to be a cowgirl. Turned out to be a
telemarketer instead
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
telemarketer instead
I loved cowboy films went to see Gunfight at the OK Corral on my own cos girlfriends didn't like cowies, enjoyed that so following week I went to see Guns of Navarone as well brilliant western that was.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
telemarketer instead
I know a lot of girls who are cows - it's not all its cracked up to be

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top