Join for free
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Sainsbury's complaint letter

I sent a complaint letter to Sainsbury's the other day, about putting the wrong food in the right bag.

They wrote me a letter, which I received this morning, I was shocked, as this formal letter had six mistakes in it, both spelling and grammer.

I was going to write back and say, thank you for your letter, but I am appalled by the mistakes, but I thought better of it, as they gave me 1000 Nectar Points on my card.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 01:27 AM

Re: Sainsbury's complaint letter

It's a very sad sign of the times, Susie. Having been a secretary for over 45 years, it has been absolutely imperative that my spelling and grammar should be as pristine as it can be, although nobody is infallible, and mistakes can be made.

A misplaced apostrophe aggravates me no end.

In fact, I do believe we had a thread about something similar to this a good while back in The Grumpy Corner.

Nevertheless, I'm sick of seeing words like business's, mattress's and such like. I feel like taking out a pen and correcting them.

I can't speak for secretaries these days, or what is expected of them, but I certainly wouldn't employ one if they were unable to spell simple words like have instead of, of! I could of? So much for the spell-checker, eh?

It doesn't matter so much for folk in other jobs (I suppose, and no disrespect) but people who send out badly spelt letters is a bad reflection on their company.

I reckon we're probably one of the few countries in the world that have many people who don't know how to speak and spell their own language correctly, and I'm not talking about folk who are dyslexic which is a different thing altogether.

I blames texting and laziness!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi Molly,

Yes I can see your point here Molly, but this was a man in managment writing a formal letter to a customer. He started off by saying Thanks for your letter, not Thank you, also things like labelling, where he only put one L, and he was writing things like wasan't, and was instead of were. I also was a Secretary, but my Boss always checked the letters before they were sent out.

Love, Sue & Coco xx
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 04:56 PM

My son in law is an English lecturer at College and I have a degree in English (though I may not show it in this post, Whiskey has that effect) so when I get a letter or see anything written from anybody (not just big companies) it really irritates me to see errors.

What REALLY gets on my nerves is people getting there theirs wrong.

See what I did there?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Susie darlin' I too crossed swords with Sainsburys - it cost them £60,000.00 in legal fees alone and another £250,000.00 to build me a disabled ramp!!!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 06:28 PM

We don't have a Sainsburys near us but I did go in one time when the wife and I were out and about in Glasgow (I think) to get some cigarettes and they are lucky I didn't complain.

I walked up to the counter and asked for a pack of 20 Marlboro Reds Kingsize as I always do in my local shops to which the person hands me a pack and I pay that extortionate £7.50 (but that's another rant), but oh no that doesn't happen here. The boy (he couldn't have been older than the statutory age of 18) started telling me of the electronic cigarettes they stocked. I couldn't believe my ears. Perhaps I would have been more calm if I hadn't ran out unexpectedly and had to go for two hours without a cigarette in busy traffic but I just lost it with him.

Lets just say I got my pack of cigarettes two seconds before he almost got a fat lip.

Bloody do-gooder.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2012, 10:35 AM

My pet hate is receiving mail & letters addressed to Mr B. Many people call me BOB, but that's a NICKNAME. My initial has always been R for ROBERT.not B for Bob
As for punctuation marks , the last word on it used to be PLAIN ENGLISH by Ernest Gowers, but these days it is EATS SHOOTS AND LEAVES. Lynne Truss wrote it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top